Gillette Adjustable (1-9 razor)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cam, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Cam

Cam New Member

Hi all.
    I need some advice. I have been using the Gillette Adjustable razor my entire life with the Gillette Double Edge blades which I have accumulated over the years from Ebay. I use the 9 or closest setting. I find the Gillette blades that are made in Russia far superior to the ones made in Mexico and Argentina which pulled and didn't last very long at all.
    But I just wanted to know if anyone has been successful in finding a razor that works as well as the double edge one does. I am of European descent with a medium to heavy beard but sensitive skin and plenty of razor bumps. Whenever I tried another razor it was like shaving with a piece of paper in that it didn't work at all or conversely cut my face up pretty good.

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb, Mbg75 and 2 others like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you use the 9 setting, a few razors come to mind. The R-41, the fatip, Futur, Progress, and Barbasol floating head razor all are (or can be) "aggressive" razors.

Demidog, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:

Another option to look into - Schick Injectors. Close as a straight razor shave for some folks.
    Welcome to our little corner of the internet @Cam. If you have a few minutes I'd encourage you to post an introduction in The Welcome Center. For new members there's also the March 2017 Newbie Giveaway! Read the rules for details.

twhite, Jim99 and Screwtape like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Cam, I'll also recommend a Schick. You might want to try a Schick adjustable or their "E" model. They're great for tough beards.

twhite, RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High Their, @Cam . I noticed that you just joined today and this is your first post. Go over to the Welcome Center and introduce yourself for a proper welcome. Also, there is a Newbie Giveaway you should look at.
    zwelcome2a.jpg

twhite, RyX and Jim99 like this.
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You might try an EJ DE89bl paired with one of your favorite Russians. Aggressive blade paired with a very forgiving razor.
    And welcome to TSD by the way!

Jim99 likes this.
  8. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Heavy beard, sensitive skin, used to have a lot of irritation as well, guy here. I most often use a Slim set on 8 or 9 as well, also with smooth sharp Gillette Silver Blue blades - it's one of the best combos for me too. I usually shave every 2nd day and only do one pass and buff a bit over the thickest spots. If I shave more, I know I'll get irritation, so I just get the best shave I can with those limits. Besides being careful about overshaving, using an alum block seems to have helped a lot to clear up

Sometimes I switch to a plain flair tip Super Speed for a lighter touch, I can even do a 2nd pass with it if I feel like it without overshaving. I also just got a Schick Krona last week and really like it - it's as about as light and comfortable as a Super Speed but maybe a little more aggressive a bit like a Red Tip Super Speed.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

twhite, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@Cam, welcome to The Shave Den!

11. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Yes. I love the Gem single edged razors. I find them to be fantastic shavers. I particularly like the 'Heavy Flat Top Razor' which is more commonly known as the 'G-Bar' or the 'Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip'.

They are both available for a very reasonable price. I use the Personna Gem SE razor blades. I find them to be quite aggressive, depending on the angle but a very smooth and comfortable shave. You might also look out for the Ever Ready Streamline which is slightly more aggressive but nevertheless a great shave, IMO.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'd also like to suggest going to an earlier Schick, a type E would be aggressive enough and can be had for a good price. Also as @dangermouse suggested, the Gem G-Bar is an excellent razor, good weight to balance, at least in my opinion.

twhite and dangermouse like this.
  13. Cam

Cam New Member

Sorry but maybe I wasn't clear in my original message. I presently have lots of Gillette double edge safety adjustable razors that work fine but the blades are getting harder and harder to find. Particularly the Gillette Super Stainless (Made in Russia) double edge blades. I find the ones made in Mexico and Argentina aren't quite as good and barely last one or two shaves if that. All the other double edge blades I have tried, just aren't as forgiving or long lasting.
    So I know about all the other old double edge shavers you mentioned except for the new Merkur Futur models which I tried and found them bulky and difficult to maneuver under the nose and and lips compared to the Gillette.
    Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any of the new modern razors for me to try. Will they work as well as the old double edge Gillette razor? And in particular, which ones?
    Thanks again.
    Cam

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  14. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Where are you based? There are loads of very good DE blades to be had at very reasonable prices.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ah, we call those "blades," or "razor blades" not razors. Probably a translation issue. It happens from time to time.

I recommend (in no particular order) Polsilver Iridiums, Astra Superior Platinums, Ladas, or Personna Lab Blues.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    ninjack likes this.