Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I played along early this morning. I am a night guy so that counts as late Friday night. Short handle SA and Rapira blade. The razor is set on 9. The only acceptable setting of course. Made it a Burma Shave day with soap and brush. Finished up with Aqua Velva Musk. Veddy nice shave.

[​IMG]

brit, jimjo1031, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If that short chunky thing was a red head I would ask it out on a date. Beautiful.

jimjo1031, RyX, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  3. T_I

T_I Active Member

Let's open the dance with my Slim... it arrived today and went swimming together with the Twist. They're now relaxing. ;)

[​IMG]

I'll start using it tomorrow. Will I be brave and start at setting 9 and work my way back, or...

brit, TestDepth, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  4. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Even a Slim on 9 isn't really that aggressive.

But...you probably don't want to look like this...

[​IMG]

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Adjustables. :prrr:

:D

Frijolero likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Fatboy (G3) Razor
    Personna Israeli Red Blade
    Vintage Made Rite #15 Boar Brush
    Cella Shave Cream
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Avon Wild Country After Shave (Dodge Daytona Decanter)
    Avon Wild Country Cologne (Shave Brush Decanter)

Untitled.jpg

brit, Frijolero, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    So we'll add another thing to your list of dislikes...
    1) Blooming
    2) Adjustables
    3) ???
    4) ???

Fill 'em in.

Frijolero likes this.
  8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

:happy069:

Frijolero, kfbrady and Primotenore like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Grumpy-Cat-And-Smiling.jpg

T_I, Frijolero, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

11. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Gone.

RyX likes this.
  12. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

20180525_142129.jpg My first adjustable friday
    Razor: Gillette SA v2 1975
    blade: gillette super thin
    Soap: Williams
    AS: Avon deep woods.

Herm2502, wchnu, brit and 6 others like this.
  13. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

5also wanted to add, its my third day using the SA, first day at 9 was a bit to rough, day two at a 7, i was unable to tell if I had any razor burn, i used stirling glacial mita with AS, so the menthol was all I could feel, today at a 5 left me with a bbs shave.

TestDepth, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  14. T_I

T_I Active Member

I never do... it's just the neck that gets nipped, but I managed to do that even with cartridge razors, so nothing new here. (no cuts, that's something to ponder about... did I shave or not. :D )

RyX likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

why is nine the only acceptable setting?

RyX likes this.
  16. T_I

T_I Active Member

I just had my first shave with the Slim Adjustable, at 9. It's a kinda smooth shave, but not as smooth as I could get with the Slim Twist. Looks like setting 9 is a bit to aggressive for my taste. Also I finally know what people mean with shave burn, but no cuts worth mentioning. (none are when they've disappeared after I showered, which I do just after shaving)

I have to admit, you need to concentrate on setting 9, also the weight (compared to the Twist and the Krona) makes it a real exercise moment. Like the razor.

RyX likes this.
  17. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have tried both my Slim and Fatboy on 9 but with a nice sharp blade like a Feather or a GSB, setting the razors down a few clicks to 5 or 6 gives me smoother and just as close shaves.

RyX and Primotenore like this.
  18. T_I

T_I Active Member

Thanks, as I just bought another 200 feather blades, I'll try tuning it down a bit.

RyX likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Doesn't have to be, but some folks like to push the limits. I keep my Fat Boy on 9 and it took me a while to work up to it. The Futur clone (Ming Shi 2000S) stays at 4.5/6 until I get more familiar with it's particular geometry. There are several techniques that allow for a smooth error free shave at max settings and with aggressive razors.

No nicks is good. The razor burn can be blamed on a couple factors. Assuming you aren't allergic or sensitive to your soap or any coating on the blade I have three answers.

1) Ride the cap - that means holding the razor with the handle pointed straight out from your face. As you make your pass tip the handle toward the direction of the stroke until you hear the blade making contact. The safety bar may not even be toughing your skin. This holds the blade at the angle similar to a straight razor. More efficient at cutting beard, less scraping of the skin. Blades may last longer, too. (There's a link in my signature below for "Ride The Cap")

2) Less pressure - unlearning cartridge razor habits takes a little time. Carts have bumpers and guards that force the user to press the razor against the skin. DE, SE, & open blade razors like straight and shavettes depend on the user having some skill. When you ride the cap and use less pressure you have skipped the "features" designed into flippy floppy cart razors.

3) Skin stretching - getting your less than taunt face to go as flat as possible gives the razor a better surface to slide across. Mostly I make "shaving faces" by moving my jaw or tilting my head. You can use your off hand to pull the skin. If you keep an alum bar, getting a little on your finger tips gives grip through lather.

Those three techniques conquer most problems. It's what we teach in The 30 Day Rule Focus group.

Good blades! Others may be smoother, but they are my standard for sharp. Another Japanese blade I've recently tried - Kai. To my face very similar effects. I have a local shop that keeps Feathers and Astra Super Iridium in stock so I've only bought 5 or 10 blade tucks.

Primotenore, brit and Frijolero like this.
  20. T_I

T_I Active Member

I noticed, just using those techniques improved the shave with the Slim Twist dramatically

Been doing that with the Twist, but the Adjuster is a lot heavier and has a round, shorter handle, which takes getting used to. Will try again tomorrow with a lower setting.

I have to get them from around the world, first batch was Australian, this one comes from Israel. Locally (webshop) they're 5.30 per pack or 23.85 per 5 packs. (+ 8,= shipping) The 200 was 40,= with shipping... In the regular shops, only cartridges.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.