Gillette by Art of Shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yeah, really that'd be like GM retooling the Arlington TX plant to produce '67 Camaros and Firebirds again. Ain't gonna happen.

2. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

If they did reproduce the Fatboy's then this would most likely have a ripple effect across flea bay and the prices for the old would most likely go down.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

The one at my local mall from a person who has been pretty reliable about giving me heads up on new scents and offerings. Whether it is true or not, I won't know until it materializes or doesn't. Either way it is good fodder for the mind and would be very interesting to use if it does occur. If it doesn't, well then I still have a couple drawers full of razors to use in the meantime.

4. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have a Sterling and its not really a tech. It's cheap stamped mystery metal that's weighs nearly nothing and holds blades by the corners. Kinda fiddly to get the alignment right when you tighten it up and the blade exposure is scary on mine.

Rufus T. likes this.
  5. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

But; I've ALREADY got MOST of the Gillette & Pre-Gillette (Auto-Strops) Vintage Razors? (Shicks, Too!) Sounds as if the 'proposed' products will be, somewhat, inferior? Why would I....? The cost of the Machinery...dies; etc? Seems Bogus; but..., at 72, I won't hold my breath waiting...

Misphit likes this.
  6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Most of.... 72... May I message you my personal details for inclusion into your last will and Testament. kthankyouverymuch :ashamed001:

J/K Long life to you!

Spyder, trey06dmd, Rufus T. and 2 others like this.
  7. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Why; you remind me of the OTHER young "Whisker-Snatchers" whom are after my horde! :kar::signs001:

8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Oh @Darkbulb beat me to it huh?

Drygulch, ObiDon and Rufus T. like this.
  9. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

I'm salivating at the prospect, if it should ever come about. I can't imagine the prices would be anything but exorbitant, especially for limited edition runs (any indication of quantities?). But the prospect of a brand new Fatboy to the old specs, with the traditional materials, has to be a great temptation for a RAD victim. Let's face it, we're ready made customers.

I wonder if in fact this might only serve to increase the second hand prices of the originals - "why have a reproduction when you can have an original"?

Regards,
    Chris

10. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

As a relative newb (just over 6 months into this, and loving it - after 40 years of other, sub-par methods) it is a provocative suggestion.

Like many, my first thought would be that any rumored project like this would first probably be considered by a company as a short-term money maker - Construct replica-type editions and sell them to a market that can't get the real thing and make some money from it.

Another scenario (of many potential ones) but the one I would like to see, is one that I think most wet shavers talk about once into this routine - that our shaves are light years better with vintage gear because of the thought and craftsmanship that went into a product - that was focused on the masses.

For someone to take a few of the vintage types and set up the manufacturing production lines necessary for the quality that we see in those vintage razors, would be a massive undertaking (though perhaps not as complex as the vintage Camaro/Firebird suggestion ;) ).

But the key would be 1) knowing the market for such a product (hint: it just can't be us fanboys) and 2) manufacturing to provide a retail cost and quality product similar to the relative cost during their heyday (adjusting for inflation of course - sorry, no $1.95 Fatboys!)

I haven't seen any polling on the subject that has resulted in anything but new "shave clubs" sprouting about with promises of cheaper shaving costs. It could be that I'm blind, but those campaigns target cost-cutting first, not shave quality.

If the AOS rumor plays out to be true, perhaps they play the nostalgia angle in order to gauge the reaction of the massive "boomer" population - and it's offspring - where, if successful, they expand from just a "commemorative" product and move into more of a conscious return to the superior product for the masses.

In the end, I'm resigned to think that my preferred scenario, of bringing back to the masses what we know wet-shaving to be, is nothing more than a pipe dream as some have already suggested .

btw - i loved my last shave! :)

11. This is interesting Jim as I also have talked to AOS and they say there is nothing in the planning stages regarding producing these Gillette's you mentioned. The comment about AOS contracting with Gillette really doesn't make any sense with me because Gillette owns AOS. The rumor I previously saw on Facebook was of a similar story. AOS was going to do a corporate investigation but the guy spreading this rumor wouldn't provide the store or the name of the individual within AOS. So who are you talking to? Is it at a Store? I'd be happy to pass the information along to them,

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think this is all pretty rumorific at best for now. But, playing along...

I'd be interested in seeing what AOS sells these at. I'm guessing about twice as what they're worth. I also hate to say it, but I think that quality control would probably be worse than better. That's just kind of how it goes with things. People running equipment they have no connection to, etc. it can take awhile to finesse the process.

13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

It was in a store, and it was by one of the employees who strangely enough doesn't work there anymore. Could he have been pulling my leg on the way out, possible since he knows I would be a huge purchaser. But since I have read that AOS denies the issue, the whole matter is moot. Sorry it took so long to respond but this thread is way down on my watch list.

14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, the rumor has resurfaced again. Over on TSN, someone is saying that he was told by an AoS manager in Salt Lake City that Gillette will be launching a line of safety razors in 1Q2016. The main difference in this iteration of the rumor is that they will be starting with a razor based on the Tech.

For those who want to read the original discussion, the URL is http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=37864

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. I will say, though, that it does make a lot more sense to start with a re-release of the Tech as opposed to the FatBoy.

JR

youngunn likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

16. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

But.. but.. my original, and obviously incorrect post said it was a tech as well and eventually the others. Either way, the only way to prove it is to buy one and I am putting that money aside right next to my mystical unicorn ear wax collection. :happy093:

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Talking to the average AOS employee about classic wet shaving is like talking to the average American about the function of the Federal Reserve: Pretty much nobody will have the foggiest idea what they are talking about.

youngunn likes this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

My apologies; I must have missed that the first time around.

JR

19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yes please.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Yes please is right and put the firebird back on the hood! :cool:

Jim99 and BigCabDaddy like this.