Gillette by Art of Shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Nov 12, 2015.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Now THERE is an apt comparison I suspect. This coming from someone who actually likes the new GTO... So long as they don't call it a GTO.

swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Isn't AoS just a Gillette store front, ultimately designed to market high-margin consumables and insure that the consumer doesn't leave the modern Gillette ecosystem?

chrisbd, txskimo, youngunn and 3 others like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

+1

4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Not to start a discussion about what should be, but giving the resurgence in DE shaving and the potential market for DE razors I could see a rebranded Dorco / Wieshi thing but in no way is Gillette going to tool up and make the old products. The profits realized from this would be minimal and could only under cut the existing products. After all Gillette sells blades not razors! This is where the money comes from.

youngunn, gorgo2 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  5. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Now this makes a whole lot of sense to me. A rebranded Wieshi released to cash in on the fad.

6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

They might remake these razors but they would also rebrand some or all of their DE blade line charging $2 a blade at minimum and put out instruction saying to replace the blade every othe shave. Also new brushes, soaps, creams and post shave products that would work as a system that should (for best results) be used together.

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The way I see it, if Gillette can increase market share by reissuing a Tech or fatboy and turn a profit doing it, then they probably will do it. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to move forward that they used some proprietary blade, cheaper materials, etc... I guess time will tell what they do. It is interesting and rumors are usually based on some tidbit of truth.

Nice Firebird!

Btw, there was never a 1964 Mustang. It was introduced on April 17, 1964 as a '65 model. Now, how do I know that?

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You do hear guys talk about '64 1/2 Mustangs all the time since there are differences between the built in '64 cars and the built in '65 cars but yeah, the VIN code will say '65 on all of them.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I really don't see Gillette going in for DE on any wide scale. To do that would imply their billions of dollars and almost 40 years of pushing carts is somehow inadequate. They ain't about to do that, at least not under their own name. But if they can somehow get in on the small game under another name - making some money on it while maintaining their cart supremacy - they might.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Mine is one of those that are commonly referred to as a 64 1/2, and mine has a build date of June 6, 1964 out of the Dearborn factory. There are differences in the early ones like mine and the cars built later in the year and through August 1965. The hood, 260V8, generator, carpet, heater switch, bolt sizes, wiring connections, radio, directional display, etc... are different. Some subtle, but different. The switch over to what is more commonly referred to as the true 1965 models occurred in August 1965. I could go on, but I would be getting off topic.

Man! I would love to see a new Gillette DE, but I won't hold my breath! In the meantime...
    IMG_0879 - Copy.JPG

m54daboll, swarden43 and feeltheburn like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Just like when you walk in to AoS!

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yes, but the brush running on batteries and having an LED light is kind of a deal breaker for me.

txskimo likes this.
  13. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

I totally believe this to be true. Proctor and Gamble (who owns Gillette) recently bought the whole Art of Shaving corporation. It makes sense that they would use Gillette double edges. Currently, the AOS razors are just private labeled Muhle Razors. Be prepared to pay over $100 for a double edge Gillette razor though...

Jim99 and BigCabDaddy like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice car. My first car was a '66 and my second one was a '64 1/2. I want another one just like yours.

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Proctor and Gamble bought AOS in like 08 or 09. Also, gillette's renewal of anything DE would just be some sort of admission or acknowledgement that DE's even existed as a viable method of shaving. This goes against their entire marketing plan which is "more, newer, shinier, vibrating and more".

This one just ain't happening.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Jim99, gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  16. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

They may bring in a battery powered multiple DE bladed monster. Duel audience.

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy102:

18. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Coming September......

20160604_122634.jpg 20160604_122638.jpg

AGHisBBS, Omelmad, Rufus T. and 4 others like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Wow! I like how the have a Tech being held by what I assume is a young hipster with tattoos and the old guy, again an assumption due to the suit and cuffs, holding the fusion.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's a Tech all right. Reverse engineered or did G keep some old Tech machinery?

AGHisBBS, Rufus T. and Robyflexx like this.