Gillette Fat Boy First Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dryheat, Jun 24, 2014.

1. dryheat

dryheat New Member

I'm a newbie on here, and to wet shaving in general. I have been using the Micro Touch from Walgreens (the $19 package with the chrome stand and Dorco blades) and have been wanting to get a "real" vintage razor for about the entire month that I've had this razor. My Fat Boy showed up last night, and after several hours of barbicide, Barkeepers Friend, Dawn and a soft toothbrush, and Maas polish, I loaded a Gillette Blue Silver blade into it this morning, and had the best wet shave of my life. I realize that this is not a great accomplishment since I only have the one other razor to compare with, but I was getting pretty close shaves, and even my neck was smooth for most of the day with the Micro Touch.The Fat Boy was a treat, much better feeling in the hand, and much better feeling on my face. I set it at 3, as I read on here to be the best starting setting for an adjustable, and loved it. My job requires a clean shaven face every day, and it has been a hassle in the past, and an expensive hassle at that, with Schick Hydro cartridge blades being my favorite of the throw away type. I have become fascinated with the whole wet shaving ritual and look forward to shaving every morning (this was with the Micro Touch) and now I am really hooked. I have a couple Tech's and a Blue Tip coming, but I don't have them yet and after the shave with the Fat Boy, I think I will get more familiar with this one, and eventually change to a more aggressive setting to give that a try before moving on to the other razors, as I want to learn which is the best for me and I think several (many) days with this one are in order before I move to the next one. I look forward to tomorrow morning when I can use the Gillette again.

2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Congrats! It will just get better.............

Bob

3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Welcome to the Den! I've been shaving with a DE for a little over a month now and my first razor was a Merkur 34c HD. It is a mild razor and with a Feather blade (very sharp) gives me a Darn Fine Shave. I just got a FB two weeks ago and also started low and am up to 5 with a Super-Max super platinum. My Merkur is collecting dust. Enjoy!

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Welcome to The Shave Den. Take your time and develop your technique.

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:
    I would expect a big jump in performance and results going to a Fat boy from a Walgreens cartridge razor. Glad to hear of your successful first outing!
    ...and Welcome to TSD!

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats on your great shaves. I agree that it's good to take your time.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:transport015:-------------:signs046:To TSD!

8. TexasTiger

TexasTiger Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats on the getting a Fatboy. I got my first one last week as well and I am currently on (7). It is a fine tool thats for sure.

9. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your shave.

10. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Congrats on your Fatboy and successful first shave with it! I love mine two, and it's my favorite DE. I also set it on 3 most of time. Aces!

11. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Welcome and enjoy your new razor.

12. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

It's original, has fantastic weight to it. And is just flat out one of those razors everyone wants. It was my first DE. And although it was in fair shape I couldn't let a icon like that look anything less than pristine so I had it replated in Rhodium. I love the fact that if I just need a daily shave I can set it at 3-4 or if I've let it go for a few days dial that baby to 9 and let the whisker whacking begin! Enjoy your razor!

BigMark likes this.
  13. TexasTiger

TexasTiger Well-Known Member

Shave with mine at 7 last night I think I found my number very close shave. Will have work on my technique a little in a couple of places but overall it's the closest shave to date for me