gillette fat handle tech w2 1932

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by flaxton, Oct 23, 2015.

1. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

i have one of these. its from Canada. a friend said there should be no difference between these and the British or American ones. is this true. the year it was made is 1951. thanks.

Enrico and Morman Bridge like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I enjoy my Gillette "FAT" handle techs very much. I have several and I've found the modern razors(EJ89, Weber DLC, Merkur34C) I enjoy using the most shave much the same as the tech. My current daily shavers are a Stahly Live Blade shave head on a Weber Wave handle and a Phoenix DOC on a Weber Classic handle. British Gillette's are said to be slightly better made or more robust. All of my "FAT" handle techs are American made and shave wonderfully! :happy088:

Morman Bridge likes this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Other than the stamped info, not really. They're all Techs.

4. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I've read on another forum where a couple guys said their Canadian Fat Handle Techs shave better than the American ones, but I don't have a Canadian Fat Handle Tech to test that theory. However, I do have a Canadian Khaki set from 1953 that will out shave almost all of my other Techs. It has 1932 on the bottom of the base plate, and it sports an unusual handle. I will post some photos in a minute.

5. Morman Bridge

Here's a few photos of my Canadian Military Khaki set.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445637214.767224.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445637239.515856.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445637253.481654.jpg

I added the blade bank, but the blades that were with it were Canadian Gillette Blue Blades with a 1953 date code. These sets are fairly rare. At least I have never seen another one. The original owner had three more, he bought them at a Canadian Military Surplus sale. Mine is NOS. But the reason I posted this is to say some Techs do shave better than others. I have an English Gillette Tech that has an aluminum baseplate and handle, and it will outshave all comers! But of course, YMMV.

Jayaruh, brit and 178-bplatoon like this.
  6. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

Mine is like that but has w 2 instead of y 4.

7. Morman Bridge

Hello Flaxton, that is cool! I have never seen another handle like mine. Is yours a part of a set like mine?

8. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

hi. no i got it on ebay in the uk. just the razor. cleaned and replated.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I really like the knurling on that Canadian tech handle.:happy088:

10. Morman Bridge

The handle is solid brass as far as I can tell. It is fairly hefty. The handle contributes to the effectiveness of the razor. My Tech shaves great. I bet the OP is very happy with his when he gets his, I don't think these are very common.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Here are some possible head/base plate configurations on Techs (courtesy of @mr-razor):
    [​IMG]

but, as far as I know there's only one baseplate that came with the fathandle Tech that sells for a couple of hundred dollars when they come up for sale and it's not pictured above but can be seen below - the Tech Hybrid:
    [​IMG]

Jayaruh and Morman Bridge like this.
  12. Morman Bridge

Hello Darkbulb, yes I know. I was not implying this razor was as valuable as a hybrid Tech, I was just commenting on how well it shaves, and how uncommon the handle is. I have never seen another handle like mine. That's all I was saying. I hope I didn't give the wrong impression.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh, not at all - I just added the photos above as tidbits for anyone interested in these razors in general :)

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Never saw that handle before. Very nice! :happy088:

My 1951 Z-4 Gold Canadian Fat Handle Tech

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

Jayaruh, Darkbulb and Morman Bridge like this.
  15. Morman Bridge

Stunning razor boojum1!!!

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Tony D

Tony D New Member

Sorry to revive this thread but does anyone know if the canadian techs all came in the same box/ have the gilette logo on top. Mine does not have the logo and I have yet to see one in the box mine has.

17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Not a ten year old thread, but I'll bump it up. I just picked up a Gold Fat Handle Tech ca. 1946-1950 today at the fleamarket for $5...
    IMG_1302.JPG
    This is the After picture.

Jorvaljr, Enrico and CarlfromMO like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have two pre war and one post war 1932 Tech. Two of which are standard fat handles and one is a four piece. I also have one 1946 english Tech slim handle. Techs are awesome! :D
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

What's the bottom plate look like?

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

If you go up to @Darkbulb's post and look at the 1946-1950 Tech photo, that's my razor. Bottom plate looks just like that.