Gillette Fatboy Mania

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Grazer1, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Grazer1

Grazer1 New Member

I don't know much about these razors other than they seem to be highly popular and desired at the moment. Currently one is being auctioned on the bay and bids are at $104.00 just now, with hours to go. My point is I'd like to acquire one of those but not at that price, infact I think I 'd like to purchase one because I've heard they are good old razors also fashionable to own. On reflection I think I've been sucked in to a frenzy about Fatboys, they seem to be the latest thing to own amongst new shaving enthusiasts determined to acquire an impressive collection, good luck to them.
    Currently I have a Merkur Futur and Edwin Jagger DE89BL.
    As I'm keen to take a trip down shaving memory road and purchase an older reliable razor, can anyone recommend me what I should be looking out for , approximate prices and realistic bids I should be making.
    Thanks

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Realistic prices? What kind of shape - mint or user grade? With or without box?

Honestly, I have no idea. I was given one by a co-worker and found another in the case at an antique store for $2. Both are in really good shape. Not mint, mind you, but that's not what I'm looking for when I buy a razor. I'm a user/hoarder :D, not a collector.

3. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Three years ago I bought a Fatboy in very good condition on e-bay for $45. A year later I paid $60 for one for my son and it was in somewhat lesser condition. I love my Fatboy, but am not sure I would pay double that today when other interesting and capable razors are available for much less.

Suggest you consider shopping for a Slim. It is very similar to the Fatboy and easier to find at a fair price. Another vintage favorite of mine is the Gem line, which can be had for $10-20 and give outstanding shaves. My Gem Push Button is the best shaver in my den, and ironically it I have the least investment in it.

4. I just bought a FB this week for $30 off the 'bay without the box. Great shape. Not mint but real good shape.
    I actually just used it tonight for the first time. A long way to go to figure what setting and blade combo is right for me though time will tell.

+1 on the Slim I've read it is very comparable if not a better shave at slightly better price. Though YMMV ofcourse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190515733658&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

5. newb

newb Resident Newb

Everybody I guess needs to try a Fatboy. You Futur though is IMHO a Superior adjustable. But since you have the need to try the Fatboy, I'd recommend being very patient, look on the bay for one that's mislabeled and dirty (a black and green fatboy with a little elbow grease can look new) and do not spend more than 30 bucks. (I see fatboys on the Bay frequently go for this price) Or possibly looking at antique shops and flea markets till one becomes available. Gillette's had such a superior finish in the 40's, 50's and 60's that's it's easy to make a dirty dog look like NOS with a little bit of work.. When you look at dirty old Fatboy's look for numbers that are black, and Stay away from from the ones that look to have deep scratches on the doors. Those can't be polished out.

6. Grazer1

Grazer1 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys basically what I was intending to infer was
    "As I'm keen to take a trip down shaving memory road and purchase an older reliable razor, can anyone recommend me what I should be looking out for , approximate prices and realistic bids I should be making? "
    Opinions would indicate that the Fatboy is perhaps overpriced and over rated.
    Also I realise now that the bay is not the best possible place to be looking at to expand my collection and add my first antique/old style razor.
    The Fatboy apart what do you chaps recommend as suitable alternatives and cost ? I appreciate suggestions so far.
    Thanks !

7. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

Here is possibly one of the greatest razors ever invented. It is so wonderful that even though it's style was introduced 99 years ago. It has loyal fans who swear it gives them the best shaves. Oh BTW it is totally undervalued and can be had for a just few bucks. GEM 1912 It is the standard of shave excellence and it is hard to find a shaver that has negatives to say about it.

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

1912 is a treasure aswell as the 1910 and earlier lather-catchers...Beautiful aswell as great shavers dripping with nostalgia and bought around the $10 range...unbelievable...

Plus it would be a derelection of my responsibilities as a Den-Mate to not suggest you try an Injector...possibly an E, G, or I1, or I2 Hydro-matic...all of which are dripping with nostalgic goodness aswell, and are fantastic shavers and are the personification of user-friendly...:) And are usually found under $15...

If you are set to try a Gillette Adjustable, and that Slim is still available in the TSD classifieds...I believe them to be the epitome of modern DE razor design and a product of Gillette at the height of their powers...Go For It !!

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Have you read this?

As for condition, you just want to make sure there are no heavy dings or dents and all moving parts operate smoothly. Surface grime cleans up easy enough with some Scrubbing Bubbles, hot water and a toothbrush. Finish with a few drops of oil at the hinge points and you're all set.

11. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

The Fatboy is a wonderful razor, BUT it is not worth the prices that some people are paying for them. :rolleyes: You must be patient (like a hunter) and one will fall into your hands, in great shape, for the right price. I have seen these recently sell for under $25.00, including shipping.

Good Luck and Good Hunting!:D

12. Luxlover

Luxlover Member

I have a really nice "Fatboy", that gives a very good shave. BUT, I really like and enjoy my slim much better. Easier to handle, more responsive to my hand, just an overall better experience for me. I also really like my Merkur Slant, my vintage Gillette new, etc. I really hardly use my "Fatboy" in my rotation. My slim is my go to razor. Fabulous!
    I am working now with a new EJDE Ivory handle. I am really starting to like it alot.
    Anyway, the Fatboy is very good but not earth shaking in my opinion. YMMV of course. I wouldn't pay alot for one.

Lux

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Anyone still looking should check this out.

14. Diamondtim

Diamondtim Member

Grazer1,

I think your ship has come in!:D