Gillette Fatboy questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hank, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Hank

Hank Active Member

Tonight changed my setting to 6 and I got a 2 pass BBS shave very little irritation. I think I may be on to something next time I shave I'm going to bump it up to 7.

This is the best my neck has felt in years!!

jimjo1031, Herm2502, RyX and 4 others like this.
  2. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Love my Fatboy on 3. Smoothest shave I have ever gotten out of a Safety Razor. Better than my Super Speeds.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

When I first started using my Fatboy I had the same questions about settings. That's when I began trying out 3 piece razors. I found them to be simpler, cheaper & more available. I found I only need one setting, the one that worked best for me.:)

jimjo1031 and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Hank

Hank Active Member

Now its the morning, the day after and I can't stop touching my face I can't explain how it feels but you guys know, all I can say is WOW!!t:happy093:

5. Hank

Hank Active Member

Now that it's not the middle of the night I will do a more detailed report on my shave

Blade: Gillette 7'oclock yellow (2)
    Razor: Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Soap: mamma bear
    Brush: no name

2 passes: with the grain, across the grain., rinse and DONE BBS

jimjo1031, 178-bplatoon and Bobcat like this.
  6. Thumper4524

Thumper4524 Member

That's great! I use my Fatboy on 6 or 7 with an Astra SP and it never fails to impress me, but my NEW short and long comb are becoming contenders too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I always start my adjustables on 5 then see how it works and go from there.

8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Its different for everyone. Personally, I used to always set mine to 5. Any more than that and I would get razor burn. The setting you use is really a personal decision the depends upon your skin, how close of a shave you want, what blade you are using and how aggressive you want it to be.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Others have answered your specific question as for my experience.
    I like varying the adjustment level depending on pass number and area shaving. I can easily go 6-7 on my first down stroke but change to 3 on sensitive neck on further subsequent strokes. Also prefer gentler blades for adjustable razors.
    This is definitely an individual experience which will vary by razor and sensitivity.

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Trial and error and you'll find your sweet spot.

Sara-s and dustmite like this.
  11. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I never got past 7 on mine, but after my shave this morning with the Shick adjustable pass around, I'm going to bump mine up.

jimjo1031, twhite and RyX like this.
  12. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Do mine at 9!

Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My settings depend on the blade, Personna reds at 8-9 , Wilkinson Sword or Crystal I use a 6, BBS most of the time

jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm out of Feather & Voskhod blades. Next new blade in my #195 will be a generic store brand Israeli (Personna Red ;)) on 7. If that feels good, I may try it on 8 or 9!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I want a gilette fatboy...:(

jimjo1031 and Herm2502 like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have tried to find production numbers on them. Apparently a well guarded secret. I've found them at antique stores & flea markets. I passed on one priced at $45. I did purchase two at $12 each, and one at $5. When you visit those local shops, check with folks. Sometimes they keep the sharp things behind the counter. See if they have a WTB list.
    Try Etsy.com? Also consider the Fat Boys less expensive cousins, The Slim & Black Beauty.

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

When I first got my Slim many years ago.....I started with it on #3.... I fell in love from the first pass...
    I stayed there for a while, but as time moved on, I got bored and started to experiment. I learned to get practically perfect shaves on each successive number, til #9 became my go to....

Then when boredom set in again, I thought..... When I was moving up through the numbers, you learn to automatically make the adjustments in your technique to compensate for the more aggressive blade presentation. So you still get a great, irritation free shave, only closer...So I thought I would move back down the scale, so I could learn to make those automatic adjustments, and get just as close a shave on #1 as #9.

You can! By the end of this adjustment journey, I could receive just as close and irritation free shave on any setting...After that, it became somewhat unimportant which razor I used....I could almost always get a great shave...Unless the razor just was substandart!

So because of the wonderful learning opportunities that these adjustables afford us; I think a razor such as the Fatboy can be an invaluble tool for getting your DE "chops" together.....GO FOR IT!!!

jimjo1031, Jim99, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Be careful of some store brands, not all are made in Israel , Some say Made in Korea (Derby, less sharp) on back, looks like same package, CVS I think is Schick about equal to WS. I always look for Made in ___ .

jimjo1031, NCoxSTL and RyX like this.
  19. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I usually go with a #4

20. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

This thread is exactly what I was looking for! I have a 1959 (my birth year) Fatboy on the way, and didn't know where to start on the setting. I have a late-'40s Super Speed and didn't feel it was aggressive enough for me, so I went back to my Edwin Jager 89 Hd. I use Gillette 7 O'Clock blades, so I think I'll start the Fatboy at a 5 setting and see where we go from there. Thanks everyone for the info.

jimjo1031 and RyX like this.