Gillette Flex Ball Razor Set

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PatrickA51, Aug 29, 2015.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I think this subject has probably been beaten like a Dead Horse, but does any one use one of these razors? They have several versions of it going from about $8.00 to $19.95 for just the Razor and one blade set. The refills are priced really obscene, also there is a company called Harry's razor, that I think makes and sells the replacement blade sets, but not sure.

2. PatrickA51

I read my post and realized that I did not ask the question I wanted to ask'
    Have any of you folks had experience with the Gillette Flexball Razors?
    Good, Bad or Indifferent? :signs001:

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

the only experience I have is walking down the shaving aisle and that little display thing going off and scaring my half to death.

youngunn, BJHawk1, Spud and 3 others like this.
  4. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

Best razor I've ever used. Safety or otherwise. Yes the blades are expensive and blah blah blah all the cliches people perpetuate that arent necessarily true about cartridge razors. For me who has a thick fast growing beard and shave evereveryday both my face and my head it honestly is the best razor and the ive ever used smooth close comfortable. To me the flexball really does make a difference especially in head shaving so there you go I use them everyday.

Billyfergie and PatrickA51 like this.
  5. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I read this thread before shaving today, and decided to break out my Flexball so I could have up-to-date observations on its performance. I decided to use it side-by-side with my Sensor Excel, using the Proglide on one side of my face, the Excel on the other.

Honestly, I didn't find the Flexball handle made any difference in the shave, relative to what I have experienced previously with a Fusion on a standard handle. I watched closely today and couldn't even see the Flexball portion move appreciably during the shave. If it's doing anything, I don't know what it might be. To me, it seems like a marketing gimmick.

As for the cartridge, I'm not a Fusion/Proglide fan. In my opinion, five blades results in a lot of drag and tugging, and makes the head too unwieldy. The final results were fine - close, and fairly comfortable, with zero need for technique (although, in the past, I have found myself more prone to ingrowns with the Fusion than with other cartridges), but they were no better than what I got with the Excel. And actually shaving with the Excel was a much nicer experience. That's not even factoring in the price difference.

Just my .02. YMMV, of course.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Never tried one - but I would.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. PatrickA51

The one reason I was asking about the Gillette Flexball was that I got a coupon for $3.00 off from the market I shop at. I went looking for some Wilkinson Sword disposable razors.(which I keep as a standby razor.) For some reason the Grocery Store where I get them has stopped carrying both the Wilkinson Sword disposables and the Schick Extreme 3 disposable razors. And the CVS Pharmacy basically only carries Bic disposable. I have not checked the Wally World. I have seen all of them there but don't like shopping at Wally World too many beggars at the front door.
    I usually use a DE Weber Razor or and ATT Razor, but being as I have been having problems with my hands going numb I wanted a razor that was basically very light in weight to be able to hang on to it. When I get the situation with my neck and my hands I will probably go back to my Weber or my ATT. I have a beautiful Straight Razor (I got it as a Gift) that I have used but with the problems with my hands using the Straight could and more than likely turn into a blood bath.

Billyfergie and engrsaks like this.
  8. Jerry-built Hustler

I'm assuming then that you want to take advantage of the discount, and are limited to the options they carry, which I'm guessing are limited mainly to the mainstream multiblades. What else besides the Flexball does the store carry? If your primary concern is ease of use and ergonomics, the Flexball will work fine but there are other options. Among more commonly available razors, I like the Schick Hydro 3. The handle is very easy to hold and maneuver, and the Hydro 3 shaves pretty well. Ditto Mach 3. I like the Mach 3 better in terms of how it shaves, but I like the Hydro 3 handle better. Both are more affordable than the Fusion/Proglide, as well. The Proglide carts are at the high end of the price spectrum.

Billyfergie and engrsaks like this.
  9. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I shave oftenly with Proglide flexball razor. To be honest, the newer handle with flexball feels less stable than the previous one without flexball. Not to mention, the flexball handles are made in China, while previous ones were made in Germany. You can just feel by holding both razors in hand, German made handle without flexball is well made and is very solid. As far as Flexball is concerned, only that gent will find it useful, who is suffering from a broken wrist. :lyrtuy5:

MarshalArtist likes this.
  10. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

One more thing I would like to add, regarding flexball razors. There is a rumor that gillette will release new kind of razor handle with gel dispensing feature. It will be released sometime in next year (as rumored in following article)

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna...gs-shaving-cream-dispensing-razor-revive.html

And here is the patent link.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8826543B2/en?q=dispensing&assignee=The+Gillette+Company&page=5

Notice, Gillette's newer handle no longer features "vibrating motor" and "flexball". This pretty much shows, flexball hasn't been a hit like the way Gillette wanted it to be.

11. PatrickA51

I really prefer the Schick Extreme 3 or the Wilkinson Sword. They have a new manager and he is trying to make the toiletry section, Razors, shaving cream and etc etc to his liking not to his customers liking. They will order the other brands and will order any razor blades, creams and our soaps I want. But it take a week to ten days to get them. I should have bought all of the Schick and the Wilkinson Sword disposable razors they had when they were on sale of $0.89 ea. But I already have enough razor blades to last until after the presidential inauguration and then some.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Patrick, I am sorry to hear that you are still battling the numb hand problem. I can't help you with the cartridge/disposable solution. I just am not knowledgeable in that area. Best wishes.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. PatrickA51

Thanks Jim.
    It seems to come and go. Today my hands are numb but not as bad as the last week (meaning Mon to Friday) yesterday was so bad I couldn't do much of anything, but the heat and humidity was really bad. i got up this morning and both hands were perfect, the right side of my neck hurts but other wise......I could go on for ever.

I went and got a Gillette Fusion Proglide. My pharmacist, gave me a coupon for a 2pk. of the Gillette Sensitive Skin Shaving Gel for free,and Gillette After Shave Gel. for free. So with the $3.00 off coupon I got a Razor, a Can of Shaving Gel, and an After Shave Balm for less than $10.00 bucks.

Jerry-built Hustler and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zsweet.png

15. Jerry-built Hustler

Given the price of Proglide carts, I hope you don't find the coupon savings to be a false economy in the long run. Regardless, I'll be interested to hear how you like the razor.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. PatrickA51

I got another coupon in the package the razor was in for $5.00 off the refill package and on the receipt there is a store coupon for another $3.00 off that doesn't expire for 90 days. I really prefer my Schick Extreme 3 Razors but being as they don't have any I will give this Razor a try.

17. PatrickA51

Last night I Shaved for the first time in a couple of days. I started with my Weber 3pc. I did one pass with a Wilkinson Sword DE/SS Blade. I washed my face again with
    Pre-Shave: Jason Tea Tree Soap Satin Soap, and Pre-Shave Oil: Shave Secret Shaving Oil I then used Route 66 Irish Dan Shaving soap. I used my "Oscar 11" Custom 24/48mm TGN Super Finest Black& White Resin Handle.
    I had no Nick's or Weeper's I also got a BBS and a DFS results.
    I will shave again tonight using the same products. On Wednesday, I am only going to use my Gillette Flexball Proglide Razor. (For all three passes) I am going to use another brush that I have "Oscar 11" Custom 30/52 High Mountain White Leadwood Handle, that was given to me as gift. (And a very cherished gift it is !) I have not used it as of yet. I can't wait to get it into my rotation. Thanks Steve!

engrsaks and 178-bplatoon like this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to try one if I got it for free.

I would be a perfect test subject too, since I have never used a modern cartridge razor, so I have no idea what to expect.

19. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Patrick. I hope you are not thinking about going back to the darkside.

20. PatrickA51

Rod;
    I have been having problems with my hands here of late.(again) So I am going to try using this razor until I get the problem with my hands going numb, I can't hold my Weber or myAtt R-1 with my hands, because of the weight, This Gillette is not light but it's easy to hold on to. I got a good shave but not as good as I do with my Weber or my ATT.

engrsaks and Jerry-built Hustler like this.