Gillette Guard now available in the U.S. Sort of.

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by gorgo2, Dec 17, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The wife took me to some chain I hadn't heard of called Five Below (everything $5 or less). Of course I made haste to the tiny shaving section where there was almost nothing besides some different Noxzema [Kai] two blade disposables from what Dollar Tree has and, lo and behold, this:

[​IMG]

http://www.cstoreproductsonline.com/health-and-beauty-care/waterless-gillette-venus-disposable-razor

If that head looks familiar it should -- it's the Guard. The unit cost $2.49 and the wife is trying it out now. Since I was not overly impressed with the Guard I got it mostly as a curiosity; never thought the big G would allow this cart into the North American market, but here it is in a stealth kinda way.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    wristwatchb likes this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the heads up on the Girly Guard. Have you tried the Guard? I'm tempted to get a handle and a few replacement heads for travel. Then, I think about just getting a nice Trac II handle and some cartridges instead.

preidy likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yes, I did buy a pack about 6 months back, based on recommendations here at the Den. Does it shave? Indeed, but I find almost all my other carts (Dorco, Supermax, vintage) more pleasant to use and no less efficient. It'd be better than nothing but don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad razor at all. I'll just take anything by Dorco or Supermax first.

You want a good travel razor? The Noxzema, which have Kai blades. Excellent. Dollar Tree has 'em.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

With no prior input from me on the Guard, the wife used it and said it was awful.

Bama Samurai and wristwatchb like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the travel razor recommendation. I will check it out!

6. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Carts always fill with my beard so bad I don't ever use them, and it's not that I don't rinse . The Gillette Guard is the exception. I love the sound and the feel of a DE on my face, but for speed or travel the
    Guard is wonderful.

billdog2 and gorgo2 like this.
  7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It doesn't even look aestheticly pleasing, and black looks just wrong.
    Surely it should be pink.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

After looking the thing over, I get the impression G just wasn't trying very hard.

9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm kind of wondering what the use case is for this razor. Do women often find themselves faced with the sort of shaving emergency where they need to be able to shave "Anytime, Anywhere"?

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good question. The backer doesn't say. But it's at a store like this one for a reason I guess.

11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Interesting... it appears to be a product which was specifically designed for sale by convenience stores: http://www.cstoreproductsonline.com/health-and-beauty-care/waterless-gillette-venus-disposable-razor

"Convenience Valet is teaming with OraLabs and Proctor & Gamble to introduce a revolutionary NEW Waterless GilletteĀ® VenusĀ® Disposable Razor. OraLabs and Proctor & Gamble have collaborated to create a single blade self-lubricating (with aloe) disposable shaver which allows your customer to shave anytime, anywhere (No Water, Sink or Shower Needed). A truly innovative shaver that is perfect for the on-the-go busy convenience store customer. The gel applicator plus cleaning pad ensures a close comfortable shave! "​

Although now I'm even more curious about the defined use cases. Images of a woman frantically running into a 7-11, grabbing a Waterless Venus and then (somewhere) frantically scraping away at various bits of body hair.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A man, conceivably, but I can't imagine a case where a woman would need an urgent emergency shave.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Why you do this to me, Dimmy? You always such good boy. Why?

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I think I that just broke a piece of my soul

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

17. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

I`m not a cart shaver, but I never miss a chance at something that has a pivot head and not a lot of blades that costs an arm and a leg. I finally got my G Guard today, haven`t used it yet, but would appreciate directions on how to change blades. Thanks in advance and God Bless.

Bill

Demidog likes this.
  18. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that an emergency shave is the least of the apparent problems.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  19. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Never mind about changing carts (I got it figured out). By the way ,the one I have isn`t what gorgo2 showed at the top. Mine is a regular cartridge razor with 1 blade, shaves great.

Bill