Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I was just at AOS today. The manager was at the meeting where they announced the Gillette reissue news. He stated that the tech will be the first and then an adjustable. He wasn't sure if it was the fatboy or the slim. He states none of the reissues are going to be rebranded razors. He did state that each one will be limited releases and they will be numbered. I asked him about pricing and he stated they will be reasonably priced but nothing was confirmed.

I ended up buying the peppermint shave cream.

Spyder, blashe and Robyflexx like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I believe they are to be chrome plated, too. I'm not digging that.

Spyder likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Anticipation is building...:eatdrink020:

Redfisher likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Despite what little actual collecting I do (which is more accumulation with occasional purges), for myself this is not at all the case. However, it happens. In my personal opinion only, when it's clear that somebody is into anything with a primary goal of denying it to others, whatever "it" is, that is where so-called collecting is really just hoarding and a perverse form of greed.

For example, I've read of a film collector who allegedly owns the only surviving print of a rare and otherwise lost film that many would like to see released to the public. The story says he fully knows this, but refuses to do so simply because he has said (reportedly) he never want anyone else to see it. That's his right, but the motivation is simply miserly covetousness.

In all such cases, the item isn't owned by the person. The person is owned by the item. This is very clear when it's not a matter of, "I own the only _____ in existence," but a matter of "You don't."

Just my observation.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Spyder, PLANofMAN, Robyflexx and 7 others like this.
  5. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Do we know the metals they will use for the new razors?

Redfisher likes this.
  6. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I collect razors simply because I find them aesthetically pleasing, and very fun to possess. I also like having a variety of razors to choose from each day. I don't collect them in some vain attempt to deny other people these razors. It would be futile with my minimal resources to attempt to gather rare razors simply to hoard them and deny someone an opportunity to own or even see one.

Redfisher, Jorvaljr and gorgo2 like this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I collect vintage razors (and coffee pots) because they're cool, and for the history and times they came from. And I use what I collect, because I find them more satisfying than their modern equivalent.

Spyder, Timelord, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Ditto. Everything I've collected so far is on the intent of using. When I finally get enough experience in using my razors I'll get rid of the ones that don't suit my shave needs. I don't want razors I can't use regardless of how rare they are. Although I don't think i have any rare ones.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Lucky for me, I have kids to pass them on to. The wife and one child, so far, shaves with vintage razors. Just two more to induct.

10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

How much do you think a TTO made in the West/USA out of brass would retail for?

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Apparently around $100, according to Rockwell.

ninjack, Spyder and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Pretty deep thoughts my friend........

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Probably Unobtainium........

ninjack and Spyder like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Have to be if they are going to charge AOS prices.

Redfisher likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Damn @gorgo2! I think i just lost what little faith i had left in humanity and i feel like i just became wise beyond my years!
    upload_2016-4-6_17-20-41.jpeg

Spyder, Redfisher and gorgo2 like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just my observation, worth no more than anyone else's.

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I meant a standard TTO, not an adjustable :) ...

18. PickledNorthern

I was just goofin anyway....

19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I gave my coin collection to my oldest grandson. The middle kid gets my razors, and the youngest is stuck with a bunch of old coffee pots.

20. PickledNorthern

Awesome! The firsts always get the best. 'Cept your middles, got your razors.. Too cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'65 G-Slim and Robyflexx like this.