Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

My heart skipped a beat when I read the OP...but then I started thinking...there are already many good modern brands of DE razors on the market (yes, I know, I can't believe I just said that...). I had visions of the vintage Gillette razors being reproduced to the same standards and quality of the old vintage razors. I do hope this is true...it would be nice to add a "new" Gillette Tech to my collection...though I wonder what the price point will be?

chrisbd, Jim99 and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I foresee rebranded razors at high prices.

chrisbd, Herm2502, Leo K. and 2 others like this.
  3. Rusty blade

A price of $75 for a new Tech? I have 4 Techs...either nickel or gold plated brass and I didn't pay more than $15 for any of them.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    chrisbd, Spyder, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Let's ask this question. Who would pay $55-75 for a Tech made in India?
    Who? Not me said who..

youngunn, chrisbd, Spyder and 6 others like this.
  5. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Before we shoot it all down, let's wait and see what turns up. I, for one, would buy a numbered Gillette Tech reissue for $75. But let's hope they reproduce some of the other classics as well.

chrisbd, Jim99, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I all ready have a 30's Tech in great shape that I paid under $10.00 for. And there are lots of them out there at similar prices. Why pay $75.00 for one? I don't get it.

chrisbd, Jim99, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Rebranded existing razors sold at an outrageous price is the best case scenario. Ain't no way the big G is going to invest in retooling for what will amount to a niche novelty item (sorry) just to undercut their decades long multibillion $ cartridge monopoly. They have practically nothing to gain from that.

If I'm wrong I'll apologize and buy one (as long as it's all brass AND of comparable quality to the original...otherwise no sale).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm not shooting anything down. This rumor has resurrected many times. When one puts their thinking cap on, one realizes the prospect of it actually occurring are just a tick above zero.

This would be like Ford Motor Company tooling up to make a run of 1967 Mercury Cougars.

youngunn, chrisbd, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  9. Morman Bridge

I called the local Art Of Shaving store. The person answering the phone assured me the new Gillette Reissue was a reality. At least as far as the Tech is concerned. Why don't you call the local AOS in your area to verify it yourself?

chrisbd, Jim99 and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Because naysaying is much more fun. Duh!

youngunn, chrisbd, ninjack and 6 others like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This.
    I'd be in no hurry to do so (purchase a new Tech)—if I were a regular DE shaver—as the vintage models have withstood the test of time in durability and are currently terrific values.

chrisbd and Jim99 like this.
  12. Morman Bridge

HaHaHa! You win!!!!

chrisbd and macaronus like this.
  13. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

I will stick to my vintage Gillette's that have stood the test of time and pass on anything new.

chrisbd likes this.
  14. Rusty blade

It is my experience that any vintage item that a manufacturer reissues is never quite as good as the original. And it is usually more expensive. But if Gillette does reissue a Tech I imagine many of us will buy it just for sentimental reasons. As long as the price is not ridiculous.

chrisbd likes this.
  15. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

It may not happen, and if it does the price point is likely to be outrageous. However, if Gillette does a limited production run, soon after discovers these products are not as profitable as cartridges, and stops production, these re-issues could be worth more than the price point years down the road. Might be worth to at least have one in the collection. Just a thought anyway.

chrisbd and AGHisBBS like this.
  16. Morman Bridge

OK, check this out, the manager from the local AOS just returned one of my calls from last night. I had left a message on their machine for a return call with more information. His name is Chris. He said the release date is in May. There will be two versions of the Tech available. A Limited Edition Tech in a case, for around $75, and a standard Tech in consumer packaging. Both Techs are identical to the Fat Handle Tech. I asked him to email me a photo as soon as he has one. That is all I have right now. Thanks for all the interest everyone.

youngunn, chrisbd, ninjack and 7 others like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I did remember your post. Should we start calling you the Nostradamus of shaving? :)

chrisbd, Spyder, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No, because Dbersh was right. Analyzed carefully, Nossy's batting average was zero.

Now I'm curious exactly what "Both Techs are identical to the Fat Handle Tech" will end up meaning. Identical should mean exactly that.

chrisbd, Spyder and AGHisBBS like this.
  19. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I just went to another forum, where it's said the reissues will be based on the pre-war (triangular slot) Tech Heavy. First 5,000 will be numbered and priced at $75; the rest, $55. Nickel (or "chrome" as the poster put it), but no gold. Of course, this post is from last December, but still.

chrisbd and AGHisBBS like this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Only we can do is wait and see, I don't care where it will be made as long as it has the traditional quality in it. If I ever hear it's "all brass handle" and no specs about the head imma flip them the bird

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and barbersurgeon like this.