Gillette Nacet DE safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lather and Razors, Mar 17, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

I had this razor for a while nice plastic handle and metal head mild blade exposure no nicks and cuts

very good starter razor for a beginner and its a 3 piece razor

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Very interesting razor L&R ..I have reason to believe that this razor..which I coincidently just found one of at an antique store myself, is the very first razor I ever used back in the 70's when I started shaving. Wasn't really sure what it was called and thanks for helping me clear this up. Gillette Nacet. I also just picked up a knack which apparently, might be the predecessor to this one..haven't tried out the new one yet.. at least not recently lol. Though the knack seems to have a heavier more sturdy construction, IMO these are both good razors and yes, great for the newbe and for people with sensitive skin. I've found that with some practice I can get a really close shave with the knack ..:)

3. Slipperyjoe

Edit addition..from here the shaver looks like a TTO not a 3 piece, but I could be wrong.. eyes aren't what they used to be when I started shaving lol...

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Your photo doesn't show the head from the top or side, but per http://www.mr-razor.com you have a 1967 Slim Twist "M1" made in England, a takeoff on the Knack. The TTO is at the top of the handle.

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The Nacet razors, as the OP said, are a 3-piece razor. No TTO-action with these like there are with the Slim Twist and Knack. You can still buy them in India where they are still made.

6. lindyhopper66

Without a closer up photo of the head, it is identical to the Slim twist. The vertical handle lines and everything are the same except this one apparently is a 3 piece Tech. I realize I was basing on thinking it was a TTO.

7. lindyhopper66

Here's a better look at the Nacet. I also saw an Indian ad for Nacet II, a disposable plastic razor with a twin blade.

DSCF3712.jpeg DSCF3713.jpeg

8. lindyhopper66

There's something about that design as TTO or 3 piece Tech that just works well, like the Schick Krona, as well.

Slipperyjoe and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

The Krona and this razor have certain things in common. Could be the light weight and long handle provide a unique balance in the razor and act in concert to provide a high degree of control. It then becomes very easy to manipulate the mild head and adjust the shaver's aggression. The result is a smooth, close shave which is free of the damage that other razor set ups could potentially inflict IMO...

10. lindyhopper66

I definitely agree on that and I have found old Tech heads are pretty smooth sailing.

11. Slipperyjoe

Just to help further clarify or further confuse lol, this is a Gillette slim twist M1 model.. mine has an 04 date code..69' 4th quarter I believe...
    1967 (M1) Slim England-01.JPG

12. lindyhopper66

How do you like its shave?

13. Slipperyjoe

Ain't actually tried this one yet.. been shaving with the knack which so far, has been great. The two razors seem to share a common head and similar light weight long handle and I imagine the shave should be nearly identical..but you never know with this stuff. Think I got a line on one of those 3 piece Nacet razors the op posted. It'll be interesting to compare the shaves to the knack and M1...

14. photo (25).JPG This is for further clarification its a 3 piece razor 100% sure on that the head is different

15. Slipperyjoe

Thanks Lather and Razors.. those two shavers really do look similar. I've also found a Nacet brand of blade up on ebay..think it's made by Gillette and perhaps the razor too. Ya and the store I went to no longer carries that Nacet razor.. they only had a straight razor from Pakistan. Was wondering about the blade alignment and if they're available somewhere on line..only found Nacet blades...

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I had the same razor, but sold with the Gillette name. It shaves like a later model Gillette Tech, but for me, it worked much better with a heavier handle.

brit likes this.