Gillette new vs Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by chappys4life, Sep 15, 2010.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

Being a new guy to razors I am looking at all these lovely old razors but I am having trouble understanding the differences between the Gillette new and the tech. In a lot of pictures I see they look very similar so just looking for what makes them different.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Unless I am missing something, the tech is a safety bar razor while the new is an open comb razor.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

4. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

Love my NEW! :love029

Loathe my TECH!

5. chappys4life

My I ask why?

6. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

Bar Razors (the Tech, Super Speed's) just do not feel right on my face... I've tried them all... they just don't do it for me...

Open Comb one's seem to glide better on my face... and none more so than my NEW Short Comb.

Open Comb razors tend to be more aggressive too!

The NEW comes in two versions... short and long comb.

I have both, and find the short comb just a shade more easier to use under the nose!

This is my NEW Short Comb! :love029

[​IMG]

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

n addition to the differences in appearance, these two razors shave VERY differently.

The Tech is about as mild of a shaver as you can get. In order to get a close shave with one, I need to use an agressive blade and focus my technique on getting close.

The NEW is definitely on the agressive end. In order to avoid irritation with this I use a milder blade (or a feather but that blade is an anomoly) and focus my technique toward being gentle.

I enjoy both razors. Of the two, I prefer the NEW when I'm shaving my face and the Tech when shaving my head. Both are available at good prices and have among the best bang for the buck you'll find in DE razors. So I'll give the standard piece of advice for around here: buy both!

8. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

:sihns011

I use "mild" blades in my NEW... Like Personna's, Derby's and Dorco's

9. chappys4life

Oh thanks guy encourage me to buy more razors just what I need lol.

10. Hi there,

Congratulations on being a person who can use the short tooth versions. I've tried a bunch of those, and they're just too much for me. The shave is excellent, but the comfort level isn't there. I have some razors that look great, but I never use em.

I do have a few OC types (all long tooth) in my rotation, but they're the milder ones. Those are used as a nice change of pace, but certainly not as a daily shaver. The thing is, I just don't care for the feel of those teeth. It's distracting to me because I don't like to feel a razor on my face. I don't like to feel the blade either. What I'm looking for is only a feeling of slight pressure as the razor/blade combo waltzes over my face. There's a sound also, which is what I use as a guide. As you might imagine, the OC types doesn't fit the bill very well.

Heh, pretty crazy how opinions can vary with this goofy 'hobby'. Once again, I envy you being able to handle those Old Types.

Martin

11. stingraysrock

Yeah, we are a huggy bunch of enabler's around here.

(huggy bunch stolen from sol92228 / Jim)

12. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

You say that like I'm part of ultra niche society with a secret handshake!

Considering that I find it surprising how people think the 'older' razors are ultra aggressive...

When I suspect that 90 odd percent of the folks here love Super Speeds/Rockets, I find it even more surprising that I think they are the worst thing since canned goo!

yip.. opinions.... boy do we differ in this little hobby! ;)

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

As mentioned... the NEW has a comb and the Tech has a safety bar. Techs are more mild than a NEW. But they can give a good shave. Some people pair the tech with an aggressive blade to get a great shave. They are both good razors and easy to acquire cheaply.

14. chappys4life

Dang you guys now I am looking for a NEW as well (so if you have one for sale let me know). Already have a tech and super speed in the mail figure I might as well as add a new to the list for rotation.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I, too, prefer the NEW. I find my Ball End Tech to be a tad too mild for my liking. The Fat Handle Tech, on the other hand, gives up a great shave.

16. You and I agree about the super speeds. By now I can shave with about any razor and not end up with weepers. Even the real aggressive types are ok, as long as I pay close attention to detail. For whatever the reason, most super speeds and I don't get along at all. They just don't fit me right, and will hurt me even if I pay attention more than I like to. The red tip wasn't bad, but nothing I'd ever use.

It's not that they're overly aggressive, which I could handle. Nope, it's gotta be something in the design that doesn't agree with me. Too light and poor balance, plus the head design probably isn't a good fit either. Other than that, they're fine razors. Heh, yep, you and I are on the same side here.

However, you should try a 1941 Ranger Tech sometime. First of the super speeds, and it's one I use in my rotation. That's how different it is from other later super speeds.

You would enjoy shaving with an old Gillette Bulldog, plus a Single Ring type would be good. For another shave similar to the razor you have, any razor with a NEW Deluxe head will have a nice bite.

Martin

Oh, I apologize to the OP for the partial derailment.

17. stingraysrock

Bud, you have indeed been bitten by the RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) bug.

Welcome to the fold!

18. Hi there,

Years ago I went through an OC phase and tried lots of razors. I forgot most of what I learned about the Gillette NEW, but I do remember there being a bunch to choose from. Not all NEW types shave the same.....not even close. A NEW long tooth ball end will perform differently than a razor with a NEW Deluxe head for example. Short teeth usually means more aggressive than long, at least from what it seems to me.

Heh, I hope this helped with the confusion,

Martin

19. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

I've kinda sworn off TTO's due to the safety bars, but if I see one for a good price, I'll try it out!

The Gillette Bulldog is on my want list, and I have an ABC Old.. pretty much a single ring head!

Boy, have we ever hi-jacked this thread!

um... Buy both the NEW and the TECH! :D

20. chappys4life

No worries its good info and I asked. Yeah thanks to you guys I am looking for a NEW as we speak as I already have a tech in the mail. Man you guys making me try all these razors.