Gillette New

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TULIP, Mar 12, 2008.

1. TULIP

TULIP New Member

I just picked up a Gillette New open-comb razor and shaved with it for the first time yesterday with a new Merkur blade. It's a well-used ugly beast, but I think it may become my favorite DE razor (mostly use straights these days): zero burn, no nicks, and I got a BBS shave. I felt I was always on the verge of nicking myself, but that was part of the fun. It's a really aggressive razor, and it kept my attention.

I know these were made in the 1930s, but does anyone know how to date them and perhaps know the date range of when these razors were manufactured?

Thanks!

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Check here.

3. TULIP

TULIP New Member

Many thanks!

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I swear by my Gillette NEWs. No matter what other razors I try, I seem to keep coming back. Great shave, little money, lots of history. Enjoy!

5. TULIP

TULIP New Member

I'm thinking the same thing. I shaved with it for the second time today. Sweet little razor and another BBS shave with zero burn and no weepers. I couldn't be happier...other than the fact that I want a nice looking one now. :cool:

I cleaned up my SuperSpeeds to save for my boys to use when they're of age.

6. MaxP

MaxP Member

Glad to hear that you're having a good experience with the NEW.

I have two of them. The NEW is my regular. Suits me much better than the SS I have.

Enjoy.