Gillette Open Comb buy!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

My first eBay vintage purchase! I got a Gillette Open Comb that I think is a New Bar handle. Am I right?
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Uncle Brian, BigMark, Bobcat and 3 others like this.
  2. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Also, will the green simply clean up or will I have to get it replated so it'll shine again?

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: EXCELLENT score!!!! :signs107:

Yes the green is just corrosion from the brass and will come off with a little gentle scrubbing. Use a toothbrush, Dawn dish detergent and something like "Bar Keepers Friend"...I use "Mothers Mag Polish" for shine, but there are many polishes to choose from..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Joelio likes this.
  4. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yup. That's a Gillette NEW with a "common bar handle"

If I'm not mistaken it's a short-comb - which is the more 'rare' of the two (SC vs LC).

(The 'rule' if you can't tell is that if the diamond logo is in the center of the baseplate it's a short comb...if it's to the side it's a long comb)

An illustration:

[​IMG]

People ask "what's the difference between a long-comb and short-comb when it comes to how they shave...and there is never any agreement on that.
    A lot of people do claim that the SC is a bit more aggressive.

I have both versions and could not tell them apart :)

Great razor. Congratulations.

dscaver likes this.
  6. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Yup, Gillette NEW Short Comb with a standard (fat) Bar handle. Congrats! They're very smooth shavers. :happy088:

7. Stubbl E

The green copper oxidation will polish off, yes, but in the process you'll likely loose some or all of the gold plating. The underlying metals are brass and the copper-like red brass, and they'll polish up nicely if you like, but some go with the replate option as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note - that's a Long Comb at the bottom and center-left. ;)

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If you have some scrubbing bubbles (non-bleach) that may also work wonders on the razor.
    About 2-3 minutes or so.

9. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I actually like the look of the reddish brass and gold combo!

10. Stubbl E

I'm with you as well Joel - the brass & copper look is quite striking to my eye. :happy088:

11. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Is that safe on the gold plating? That's the only thing I worry about because it appears to be fragile from what I've read. I can't freaking wait to get this thing, clean it up and give it a go! The good news is, it's shipping from just a few miles up the road (the seller, understandably wouldn't let me come pick it up) so hopefully I'll have it by mid week next week!

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You know that's a great question - I've actually only used it on chromed razors.
    Maybe someone with some experience using it on gold plated razors can chime in here.

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

These are decent razors. I had a long comb I got in a PIF and sent it on with the travelling box here. I just didn't like the issue with the finish, and it didn't look as nice as yours. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations. Great first eBay acquisition. It is a great candidate for replating. I did mine. It's a great shaver and a favorite.
    new_plated0a.jpg

ObiDon likes this.
  15. Kentuckygent

Kentuckygent New Member

Wonderful razors. I have owned and shaved with 90% of all post WW1 Gillette US made razors these are my favorite, the only one that's always by the sink. I had one replated in nickel, it's gorgeous. Clean it up, shave with it. Tell us all about it.

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Congrats! I love mine..........

Enjoy!

17. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I did not know this! Thank you. Turns out I have both a SC and an LC - never laid them side by side to compare. I can say that both are pretty darn mild razors, yet more efficient than the closed safety bar razors I have used.

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Anyone have any advice on how to clean the gold plating? It looks like there's some plate loss on the top cap, so I may just try to polish it down the the brass, but the rest of the plating looks okay. Anything like scrubbing bubbles that is safe on the gold plate?

The other question I have now is, if the plating is coming off the handle/base plate then what's the best way to remove the plating down the brass so I can polish up the brass like this picture:
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have used scrubbing bubbles on all my razors. I also use a cheap electric toothbrush. I find it much easier to handle and use than the manual type.

20. Stubbl E

The base brass and red brass will oxidize quite rapidly if it's not sealed with something. The high polish seen in most of those pics doesn't really last on it's own (the first pic I posted in #7 is more indicative of the oxidized matte finish that always results without some sort of sealer). I've used lacquer with good results personally, and I've read somewhere online (maybe TSD?) where others have used Renaissance wax with fairly durable results.

I've no experience myself with the scrubbing bubbles and it's effect on gold plate, but FWIW the B&B site has a chart listing various cleaners and detrimental effects that have been observed on various materials & finishes, and it claims the non-bleach version may damage the lacquer on gold plate razors, and further warns against using bleach of any sort as it may damage a variety of "finishes, plating, plastics, and paint". Again, just hearsay to me as I've not used either personally, but take it for what you think it's worth.

The gold plate can be removed, if you like, by boiling the handle or whatever in vinegar. ;) Simichrome polish is a good product too, especially if you don't have access to a buffer. It will remove any odd patches of worn plating quite easily.