Gillette Open Comb buy!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wait and see what it looks like after I clean it up, but I really do like the look of the brass. How easy is the lacquer Renaissance Wax to use?

2. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Lacquer and Renaissance wax are two separate approaches to sealing. I haven't used the wax myself, but I should think it's probably a paste and just wipes on with a rag or something similar. I'm sure it'll have instructions at any rate, and there may be members here who have actually used it on their razors.

The lacquer I've used in the past is Watco spray lacquer and it comes in a common aerosol spray can.

3. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Shaved with the old girl yesterday afternoon before a date with my wife and was surprised but impressed. It felt a lot more mild than my other OC (Cadet OC) yet gave almost no irritation at all! It felt very light weight and took an extra pass, so in a way it felt less... Efficient than the Cadet or my Black Beauty, but was a much smoother shave than either of them. It will definitely be a regular in my ever-expanding rotation!
    image.jpg

4. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Took a little time with some Brasso today, here are the results. The only problem with it is the pitting on the top cap. Is there any way to reverse that??

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

5. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    You can't reverse pitting. You either fill it in or buff it out.

Think of it like a wood item. If you sand it down, you will change the shape of the cap. It will probably work just fine, but you will see the flat spot.

If you fill it in, you will see the filler and, unless you do some research to find a special method, the filler will likely not take replating.

I vote to shine it up and leave the pits. The shave is the thing! The rest just adds to its authenticity a really old tool. "Character," as they say.

Tdmsu, BigMark and dscaver like this.