Gillette President Care and Feeding:

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Novacula, May 2, 2013.

1. Novacula

Novacula Member

After a quick search through the forum, I couldn't really find a definitive list of things to avoid when dealing with razors that are partially plated in Rhodium. My new President model was delivered last night in good shape, but after a diligent scrub with MAAS and a tooth brush...I feel like parts of it could pushed one step further. The handle/gnarling came out perfect but the head is still a bit cloudy and the end cap has some pitting. Does anyone have any experience with cape cod cloth? Professional rotary polishing? Or, should I just stop being a perfectionist and let it be?

I will post pictures to show the "issues" this evening but I wanted to try to get a full-day head start on suggestions.

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Be careful! I'd stay away from chemical cleans and definitely not abrasives. If you want shinny and new then look to new.:)-)

ohpaos likes this.
  3. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Less is more when it comes to Maas. The plating on Gillette's is considered thin. So be careful. If you screw up and want to get it replated you can contact razoremporium.com and they can help you out for less than $100 I believe. They may charge more for a Rhodium handle and Nickle head.

4. onotoman

onotoman Member

Rhodium is applied over a layer of Nickel - on the English Aristocrats, it was about 2 microns thick but on the President, it's lucky to be 1 Micron.

I recently stripped a President of the old plating, replated in Nickel, then Rhodium and the original Rhodium was all but gone before I even put it in the stripping tank.

If healthy, Rhodium is hard as the proverbial 'Hobs of Hell' and can be buffed to a high shine with a polishing wheel.

Incidentally the President was all Rhodium Plated - (Head and Handle), as were early open comb English Aristocrats and one model of English Tech that came in a leather travel case. Later model English Arostocrats were Rhodium handle and plain old Nickel Head.

youngunn likes this.