Gillette Prison/Mental Institution Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, May 17, 2013.

1. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Sorry, this a better example.
    image.jpg image.jpg
    I will add these pics to my post upthread

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I stand corrected....Great something else I didn't know existed but now must have..:angry032:

youngunn likes this.
  3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

:happy102: Glad you voiced your doubts b/c otherwise I wouldn't have found the better pics. It's wild to see "Psycho Lock" on the box. I assumed the "psycho" part was a nickname.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  4. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Well I just pulled the trigger on this NOS Gillette Brazilian Made Psycho Razor with Original Guard Key. It is an interesting addition to my collection. Can't wait to get it and show it to my son.

GillettePsycho2.JPG

GillettePsycho1.JPG

5. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Cool razors.
    I know Cooncat Bob was making keys for these things for a while.

This thread is the first place I've noticed that the actual blade seat differs from a typical Tech razor. On a normal Tech, the blade loads square every time because of tabs that fit into the razor slots on the top cap (I think). I'm at work so I don't have a Tech in front of me to make sure. From the pics on this thread, it looks like the PsychoTech (at least the one in this auction) didn't have those slots.

Somebody with a regular Tech, please take a look at your razor and compare it with the pics in this thread and tell me if I'm imagining things.....

6. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

Wow...I have worked in corrections for the last twenty four years and I have never heard of anything like this before. Too bad the asking price is so much, that would be neat to add to the collection.

ohpaos likes this.
  7. GlennConti

I read around the net that currently prisoners are required to use face hair removal creams instead of razors now-a-days. Any truth to that?

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  8. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I think depilatories would be too costly & they come with their own set of dangers. I'm sure it varies based on the level of security, but I've read that single-blade disposables are issued & required to be returned (and blade checked). In some places there's a time limit & others require the inmate to turn in their ID card etc. I'll be sure to ask if/when I'm caught.

:p

GlennConti likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

No clue on that. But, I'm wondering if it isn't a case of, as they once said, "ethnic skin." I've heard that African-American men will use depil creams rather than shave as shaving causes them skin problems (ingrowns, etc.) .

10. GlennConti

The mail man was nice to me today. Got my 20mm Stabilized Spalted Maple Silvertip badger from McIvor Woodworks and my NOS Gillette Psycho. McIvor is offering 10% off now for Father's Day.

L1020695.JPG

11. hig789

hig789 New Member

These are very cool. I have never seen anything like these before. Especially the psycho razor.

12. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Love the brush Glenn !

GlennConti likes this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

14. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Gorgeous brush! I love the shape & spalted maple. I think you'll be very happy with her. I have a magnificent brush & bowl in Amboyna from McIvor Woodworks. Not only is Don a remarkable artist, but he's also a kind & humble gentleman.

15. GlennConti

He was very gracious because I asked him to sign and date the box it came in and he did.

16. GlennConti

A NOS "Gillette Psycho Razor" with NOS Original Guard Key just became available on ebay last night. Just a heads up if anyone wants one or wants to watch it.

17. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

You'd have to be crazy to pass on this one!