Gillette Quick Twist

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I ordered this razor a while back from a Canadian seller - it had completed a full cycle on E-Bay as a BIN, and almost finished a second, so I offered a good chunk off (while still paying shipping, of course)

I wish the original owner had washed it off at least once more before putting it away; the plating is almost pristine, except for where whatever they were using mounded up in a few spots and _ate_ the chrome.

Anyway - this is NOT a Knack, this is NOT a Slim Twist, nor is it a G1000 or G2000. There isn't much information here, or much of anywhere, other than this short review - http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum...hite-handle-made-in-england-my-review.392235/ A few mentions on other sites, but it usually devolved into 'Slim Twist' commentary. Recently, there was a post on B&B in this thread - https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...omprehensive-photo.514756/page-3#post-8892427 - containing an advertisement. The bottom right hand image (if someone wants to upload the full sized, feel free) shows the Quick Twist with that name.

With that information, there's also some updates for the British Gillette numbering, as found on B&B and other sites, because the Quick Twist itself isn't mentioned. Only the Slim and Knack.

The bottom has the normal Gillette diamond, and MADE IN ENGLAND. It also has the date code of J 1, which points it to the first quarter of 1964. What makes this different from the British Gillette numbering listed at B&B, is that it does NOT say Pat. Pending on the inside of the razor head. Instead, it says BRIT.PAT. and on the other side 694093. That means that at some point between 1953 and 1964, they were granted the patent in Britian.

(So, if someone is looking for a 1964 1st quarter birth razor, you could look for this one)

I need to add a picture of my Knack for comparison - the same as the Slim Twist (I think the Slim Twist had a metal cap on the bottom of the handle?) The Knack was apparently released a year or two after the Quick Twist. The main difference is that the Quick Twist has a flat, broad handle, while the Knack/Slim Twist/G series are all slim, conical handles.

Quick Twist pictures - IMG_20170306_113624.jpg IMG_20170306_113651.jpg IMG_20170306_113728.jpg IMG_20170306_113741.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Zykris, AGHisBBS, Shave Fu and 3 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have the same razor with the same markings as yours, but mine has no date code on it. 1971?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. Bookworm

Hm. As mine is 1964, first quarter, we can assume that Gillette started dating their razors in England the same as in the US and Canada. That means that your 'dateless' would have to be earlier than that. Unfortunately, we don't know when the Quick Twist was introduced. We'd have to find newspaper advertisements to determine the release of the Quick Twist, or contact Gillette directly.

At a guess, I'd suspect yours is from 1963. That's the same year as the Lady Gillette. The 'Knack/SlimTwist' didn't show up until 1968. The G1000 was even later.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. Bookworm

Apparently by 1955, the patent was granted. So the razors post 1955 have the Patent number, and not applied for.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

Earlier than I thought.

6. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

This razor was called "Slim Twist" (in Europe) and "Quick Twist" (in Australia):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Meh, i don't like the handle.

RaZorBurn123 and gorgo2 like this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And they are prone to cracking, unfortunately. If you have one without cracks, be careful to keep it that way.

Shave Fu likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

10. Bookworm

Hm.. If it was called the Slim Twist in Europe, then it was a departure for Gillette. The later conical blue razor was labeled the Slim Twist. "Don't worry, it's totally different, but we used the same name!" I thought that the people that did that were mostly the pharmaceutical companies.

11. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

the later one was called "Super Slim Twist"

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Bookworm

So, there's been a misnaming convention in common usage.

Here's what I'm understanding.

The Slim Twist and Quick Twist are the broad white handle. They came out first - England/Australia (Canada?). No release in the US.
    Then came the conical handle Super SlimTwist (one word), and the Knack. (England/Australia, and US)

Later was the G1000 and G2000, also the Gillette 7'O Clock Sterling, which were a similar form factor, but different opening mechanism.

That's what I'm understanding now, at least.

What a messed up naming convention.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

K-34? The shaving cream element?

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Russian attack sub?

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Diesel?

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My exact thought.

Shave Fu likes this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

From a post on another forum:

In the mid to late 1950s, Gillette was offering 3 versions of their trademarked K-34 (antiseptic hexachloraphene) shave cream: "Brushless", "Regular" and "Foamy Instant".

In Canada, Gillette applied for on 7/29/1969 (0324627) and received a Trademark for the word K-34, hexachlorophene incorporated as an ingredient in shaving cream, on 7/31/1970 (TMA170302) but let it lapse on 9/26/1985.

In 1972, hexachlorophene was withdrawn from many products, including Foamy (Gillette), pHisoDerm (Winthrop) and Baby Magic Bath (Mennen) due to a public health scare. Restrictions were enacted after 15 deaths in the United States were reported following brain damage attributed to the ingredient.

As per the FDA, Though considered safe for many years, recent information has become available associating hexachlorophene with toxic effects, including deaths. Studies have shown that toxic amounts of hexachlorophene can be absorbed through the skin of humans, especially the skin of premature babies or damaged skin. Human toxicity reports include data on symptomatology, blood and tissue levels of hexachlorophene, and descriptions of neuropathologic lesions. Recent infant deaths due to use of baby powder accidentally contaminated with 6 percent hexachlorophene have occurred. The accumulated evidence of toxicity is sufficient to require that continued marketing of hexachlorophene containing products be carefully defined in order to protect consumers. [CITE: 21CFR250.250]

Therefore, use of this product (with K-34) today if obtained in new-old-stock condition is not recommended!!

Bookworm and gorgo2 like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

On behalf of the other boneheads who are willing to try vintage and even antique shaving products, I thank you.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup bonehead here too thanks

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice razor. I used hexachloraphene for years. I'm still going.