Gillette razor 3 piece Canada?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by flyboy718, Jul 20, 2013.

1. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Found a 3 piece at an antique store, I did get the serial number 500981 but it was a long piece that unsrewed at the end, not a ball end, says Canada on it has a rather long piece like a stem from the top plate that extends into handle. It's very dark from not being used in storage for a long time. I talked guy down to $15....sorry don't have pic, what would this razor be worth and what year. 500981

2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Pictures please.

3. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

I don't have any man wish I could

4. GlennConti

Does it look like this?

CanadaSingleRing.JPG

5. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

6. GlennConti

You got a good price if there are no cracks in the handle. You could have paid twice or more for it. There is no way to tell the date of manufacture being that it was made in Canada and records weren't kept. It is an "1905 Old Type Single Ring". The 1905 is the patent date not the manufacture date. It was made between 1906 and 1922 about.

7. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

Thanks it's just very dark...rough shape but no cracks hasn't been out in a hundred years

8. GlennConti

Try this if you dare. Don't over tighten the razor when you use it. This is how they crack.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice score. I have one, USA, though. Very aggressive, in my opinion. Go easy.

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

The darkness is tarnish on the silver. DO NOT use brasso or any of the other abrasive polishes or you'll rub the finish off along with the tarnish.

Like GlennConti said, try the baking soda and tin foil trick. There are several youtube vids along with a wealth of info here on The Den too. It is nearly effortless and will have your razor looking awesome in a heartbeat.

11. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

I lost the sale. the jack-wipe antique shop owner raised the price to over $100 but said he could help me out at $65. He said they did some further research...that was after I made a rookie mistake of calling him to get the serial number. During my first visit he said $20 I then said $10 he then said $15 I said ok I will walk around downtown and may come back to purchase later. I shouldn't have called for the serial number and I should have bought it when he said $15. No man's word means anything these days...I was upset that he changed the price but I just let it go...my collection is a working collection and I probably would not have shaved with it. It had a crack in it that I pointed out to him also. I believe it was a 1906

12. GlennConti

$65 was too much. Better that you let it go. You could have gotten a cased set for that. Keep an eye out on ebay. Here is a 1904 USA one I just got for $29 there. Notice the small hairline crack near the top of the handle. Good luck in your searching.

GilletteOldTypeSingleRing.JPG