Gillette rocket identification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dansco, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is the BRITISH version of the TV special or some other variant of rocket.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi, yes it appears to be the English Gillette TV Special Rocket. It should say "Made In England" on the underside of the head. Also, you may not be aware, these Rockets were Rhodium plated. That's a fine example you have there. Congratulations on a great acquisition!

Jorvaljr and Dansco like this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! I was worried but the man I'm buying from seemed to know his stuff and was willing to give some on his original asking price which I thought was fair! It does say Made in England on the underside. I'm very excited to receive it!

Jorvaljr likes this.
  4. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will be very happy to acquire it. They are excellent shavers. And stunning razors as well. Enjoy your journey, sir. Also Welcome to the Shave Den!

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Try reducing the size of the file. That does not automatically happen here.

Dansco likes this.
  8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Ah thanks. I'll look at that for mine.

I just realised it's an issue with photobucket- apparently I need to update my account to see 3rd party pictures or something!!:angry019:

Anyway back to razors...
    Its sexy and I can't wait to use it! :love055:

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got mine just two weeks ago. It is a great shaver. I believe it, too, is one of the TV Rockets. It is very shiny. I am wondering if it was ever used before I got it.
    rocket_ft_07.JPG

10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The TV Rocket (and Travelers Deluxe Set) both have identical Rocket Flair Tip razor's with the Rhodium handle with (the key) vertical only knurling.

58 British Rocket Flair Tip TV Special
    IMG_3210.JPG

58 British Traveler Deluxe Set
    IMG_0833.JPG

Here is some new info I found on FB from an ole friend across the pond. A photo of his collection (and the corresponding Gillette advertising info) denotes that the Deluxe Travelers Set Rocket only has a Rhodium handle (like the TV Special) not fully plated as I initially though based on the different wording from Mr Razor. So (as indicted above) it does looks like we have two Rocket Flair Tip sets using the exact same razor.

TravellersSet.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Oh wow! So if you had no case you would have no idea which set yours came from??

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    So, mine appears to be a late 50s Rocket. I guess that is the best I can do to identify it.
    rocket_ft_07.JPG

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Yes based on the knurling pattern it's a standard Rocket made in the late 50's. Of note check the end caps. From your picture (bad angle) it looks like the caps are squared off (like a US Super Speed) instead of the pointed tips normal for Brit TTO's. If so this indicates that it's most likely an early 60's Rocket. I have one of these models along with a regular model w/pointed end caps. They are the same except for the caps. Why they did this I don't know but I read somewhere that Gillette was known for using up all inventory parts during model changes overs and this accounts for the sometimes slightly different models (and cases too).

Jayaruh and Jim99 like this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Most likely his Rocket (if it has pointed caps) came in a case like this.
    59FlairRocket.JPG