Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den Scott. Can you show is some photos. It is time to start your adventure.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Scottw

Scottw New Member

Thx Rod ......

Hopefully these pics will do it justice ...... I wish I had a Macro L lens for my Canon, but my 17-55 2.8 will have to do. I am a "People and Cars" photographer - so this is NOT an easy task. LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again with any help anyone can provide with this. Of course in the back of my mind I am wondering if first generations didn't yet have the Patent # engraved which might help to explain why this one doesn't.

Scott

brit, preidy, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :)
    Congratulations that is a nice looking Rocket.
    It looks like this one from Mr. Razor:
    [​IMG]

4. Scottw

Scottw New Member

Thank you :)

Mystery Solved!

5. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

There you go. There are a lot of knowledgeable Gentlemen in the Den. I have the same razor. Good pics. The blade is a Y2, manufactured in the second quarter of 1953

6. Chef Bill

Chef Bill Member

Rocket Parat that I recently acquired in an eBay lot. I don't think the seller knew what he really had...

Rocket-1.jpg

Rocket-2.jpg

brit, preidy, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  7. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

As a Canadian working for a US company, I am often reminded that Canadian patents are not that sought after. The thinking being if a potential copycat can't make it big in the USA or other large markets, they're not going to bother knocking you off for the tiny Canadian market. Thus, I wonder if Gillette made the same decision for their Canadian Rockets or Super Speeds, i.e. just omit the patent application for Canada.

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Loved the OP with some great information about rockets!

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. eaterofdog

eaterofdog Member

Been looking out for a rocket for a while and I was finally able to score these two beauties recently. Got the first one and went searching for an original case and found another razor. Now I got TWO razors without cases. Good problem to have, I guess.

[​IMG]

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow, they look amazing. How do they shave?

eaterofdog and GDCarrington like this.
  11. eaterofdog

eaterofdog Member

Definitely one of the better TTOs I've used. I'm normally not a fan of shaving with them but this model is agreeable.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a TTO advocate either but the Rocket HD 500/59/double ring is a favourite of mine as well. Very smooth lil' shavers those, Congratulations!

eaterofdog likes this.
  13. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

I have a few Rockets in my collection and have recently acquired a flaretip rocket from France with the squared-off end caps just like No 20 in the OP's photos.

It has Made in England, Brit Pat. 694093 and the code S stamped on it.

Do we know any more about this model? Although a Made in England razor, did they perhaps use the American Superspeed head design towards the end of production? Does the S code mean Superspeed perhaps?

brit likes this.
  14. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

Looking at this razor more closely I can now see the squared-off side plates are not quite like those on the American razors I have (Slim & Fatboy). The points of the side plates on this Rocket are bent inwards and used to form the hinge pins for the doors. On American side plates (and indeed the pointed side plates of other Rockets) they have dedicated pins attached for the hinge instead. This bending-in of the side plates is clearly an easier and cheaper method of forming the door hinge pins, so I guess this design was adopted as a cost saver in the late production of these English Rockets.

I've also just had my first shave with this razor and did a back-to-back comparison with another Flaretip Rocket and this one is definitely a little milder, which sorta backs-up my theory about this possibly being an American Superspeed head design (sadly, I don't own a Superspeed to compare the two and be sure).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    brit, Douglas Carey and GDCarrington like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Just received what I believe is a HD Rocket razor in really nice condition.
    Great weight and feel to it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit, preidy, Sevenbark and 1 other person like this.
  16. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

Congratulations! I have a couple of those and they are geat razors. They have much smoother mechanisms than most other Rockets.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Darkbulb likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

There was a Super Speed made in England for the French market.

The problem is I cannot get a side view from Achim's photo set.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/solid guard bar.htm

[​IMG]

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  18. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Member

Hard to tell but it might be. The case is not the same though. I've got another on the way (pretty sure that one was originally from England), so I'll compare when it arrives.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beauty!!! Was the razor made in Montreal or just the blade?

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Looks like a really clean Flaire Tip.
    Until the late 1980s, Gillette Canada's headquarters were in the Montreal suburb of Mont-Royal, Quebec until they moved west to another Montreal suburb in Kirkland. The Kirkland offices were closed in 1999 and Gillette Canada moved to Mississauga, Ontario, a Toronto suburb following the Gillette acquisition of Duracell. The Mississauga offices were closed in 2005-06 after Procter & Gamble acquired Gillette, and Gillette's Canadian headquarters are located in downtown Toronto with parent Procter & Gamble on Yonge St.[citation needed]

At the same time, Gillette was expanding abroad. He opened his first foreign office, a London sales branch, in 1905. By 1909 he had established manufacturing plants in Paris, Montreal, Berlin, and Leicester, England, and offices in France and Hamburg, Germany. By 1923, foreign business accounted for about 30 percent of Gillette's sales.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    brit likes this.