Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Stanley Choi

Stanley Choi Well-Known Member

Hi guys, what is a good price for a decent condition British rocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It was called the Rocket. The lights were marked 'I' the mediums 'II' and the heavy 'III.'

It dates from the red tip/blue tip Super Speed era. You can call it a Medium Rocket if you want.
    Depends on the Rocket. The number 58's (which should be considered an Aristocrat) can get up there, as can the HD 500's. $100+

A lot also depends on the condition of the razor. I wouldn't pay more than $25 for a user grade Rocket with miniscule spots of plate loss and no case. A good price is $10 for user grade. :) (that would be for a regular or flare tip Rocket, excluding the blue and red tips).

You might have the best luck by joining a British shaving forum, like http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk and offering to trade a good condition red tip, Milord, or other moderately desirable American razor or American shaving products.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    brit and preidy like this.
  3. Stanley Choi

Stanley Choi Well-Known Member

Thank you for your advice!

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I don't think I was very clear on my pricing info. Sorry about that. I edited my post above.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

This is a fairly nice one that I have. The only markings are made in England, patent pending inside the blade tray, and razor made in England blades made in Canada on the box. The person I bought it from was from Canada.I love this one

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

brit, alpla444, preidy and 3 others like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Too bad the Rocket Man no longer frequents this forum. The original post should be edited to reflect that the No. 58 is in fact, an Aristocrat Junior.
    [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  7. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

ok, so while cleaning my HD with the towel hanging on the wrung.... it jumped......
    annnnnnnnnd now has a cocked head! :-(
    any ideas of how to fix, reposition the whole head?

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

We need pics, from different angles.

9. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

brit, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My Rocket acquisitions this year: 1949 Rocket, 1958 Parat, 1951 Rocket anodized gold finish all aluminum (29g) and late 50's Blue Tip.

The aluminum Rocket rivils the HD 500 in a close shave, but does require alittle more effort.
    [​IMG]

Jim99 likes this.
  11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I also have a regular flair tip Rocket and it gives a great close/smooth shave.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I recommend tapping the head back into place with a leather or rubber mallet, then make sure the doors open and close as smoothly as they did before. Then take a small screwdriver and the same mallet and insert it between the gap between the TTO shaft and the handle (looking down into the internals of the razor with the head/doors open) a couple light taps, moving the screwdriver to different spots, should reseat the crimps holding the handle to the head.

14. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

15. Morman Bridge

Hello friends and fellow members, recently I won an auction for a razor that I believe to be an American Rocket. For two years I have been searching high and low, far and wide, and finally, my search is over. The razor is not yet in my possession, but will be soon. Here is a screenshot of my new acquisition-

[​IMG]

Needless to say I am very happy. Thanks for your interest, and have a great day!

brit, FancyRamen, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  16. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Great score Alan.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

17. Morman Bridge

Thank You Roderick

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!
    I thought Rockets were made in England?

19. Morman Bridge

There were a few produced in America. Very few. As far as I know there are four that I know of. And the author of this thread said he's seen three counting his own. They are rare as hen's teeth.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088: