Gillette Rocket, the refined DE.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Dec 1, 2008.

1. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I'm not sure that I understand your inquiry. There were some Rockets that were stamped "Patent Pending" and others that have patents, usually "Brit. Pat. 694093". I think that Rockets made after 1955 will have the "Brit. Pat." stamped inside the blade tray.

2. philoye

philoye New Member

This is the exact razor I have. I bought it on eBay in Australia a couple of years ago for ~US$13. I bought it thinking it was super speed (the auction didn't say anything other than 'vintage'), but some extensive googling brought me here.

I'm curious if you know more about this? Any info on the date? I actually had the case (which is now gone, unfortunately), but it was blue, not red. Looked the same otherwise.

My razor does not have the strange teeth on the sidebar, says "Patent Pending" and "Made in England", has the diamond Gillette logo, but no other markings.

Great razor regardless of when it is from.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The blue case is not one I've seen a #58 in before. Could it be the #59 case (Rocket #7) in my original post?

If your razor has "Patent Pending" on the blade tray it should be pre 1955 vintage. Some of the #58's issued in 1953 are Coronation models and have a crown embossed on the exterior of the case. I have no information about when these were first produced so pre 1955 is as close to the date of manufacture as I can say.

Congratulations on an amazing deal for a superb shaver.

Oh and by the way welcome to TSD Philoye!

4. philoye

philoye New Member

Thanks for the quick response! And putting together the fantastic, original post.

It could've been the same case as #7, but I remember it being a darker blue, with the inner lining also blue, but it could be that my memory is playing tricks. Definitely no guarantee that the blue case was the original one for my razor.

Hmm... any idea when the #58's started production? Were these made only for a short time? I don't see too many mentions of the #58's on the interwebs, but maybe the original owners never give them up!

Also, you mentioned that you didn't know whether they were called a Rocket or an English Aristocrat? Any progress on that? Calling it a "58" is cool and all, but I do like names too.

Thanks! Now the question is what is my next razor? I only have this one an a Merkur HD. And to find some better blades, here in Sydney I can only find Wilkinson Swords...

5. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

Mt Grayling i love my rocket britt patent you describe it to me SMF..

Regards!

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I suspect they were made for several years in the 50's, but were not produced in very large numbers. They are popular among collectors for their distinct appearance, but don't turn up for sale often.

I think it's a bit of semantics or a judgment call. They do function like a Rocket, but are fancier than most. I really don't know what to call them besides gorgeous!

Get yourself a blade sampler. http://www.connaughtshaving.com/ and http://www.razorandbrush.com/ both have very good selections and great prices, but Giovanni from razor and brush is on hiatus temporarily.

I remember meylus, Welcome!

7. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

I had no idea there were that many. Thanks for all the info, I just worked out what type of rocket I had.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

I would love to get my hands on a #16 but I always seem to be a dollar short, or a day late.

9. MK-ULTRA

MK-ULTRA New Member

Chris,

This post is totally awesome. I have used it as a reference many times to help my RAD.

I have not read through this entire thread, so I apologize if this question has been already covered.

I have a Parat and an Aristocrat Junior. I also have an HD Rocket on its way.

I really enjoy learning the history and have become somewhat AR about knowing the dates for each razor.

Since these don't have date codes, can you give me some assistance in determining the dates. Otherwise, do you know the production date ranges for the three of these?

Thank you so much,

10. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I afraid I can only give you my suspicions or hunches on the matter.

The Aristocrat Jr. would seem to be an early vintage because the heavy flat plate was used on early British Aristocrat's like the 30's Popular, #21 and #16, but doesn't appear on later Flare Tips. The Aristocrat Jr. logically would be made after the #48 since the #48 shows many unique design features of the #21. I've seen an Australian add showing the #48 from 1948. When they ceased production I really can't say for sure, but I'd guess the mid 50's? They do not seem to be commonly available on places like eBay compared to the normal 40's Rocket, that suggests to me that they were a short run or somewhat limited in production..

The Parat is a tough one to date. I have circumstantial evidence that they were made well into the run of the Flare Tips, so a ballpark would be they were made until the late 50's or early 60's.

The HD is generally thought to be of an early to mid 50's origin.

I hope that helps, but keep in mind it is mostly conjecture.

11. MK-ULTRA

MK-ULTRA New Member

Chris,

Thank you so much for the information.

I used the Aristocrat Junior today for the first time and it was beyond SWEET!

That is what I thought of the Parat too.

I can't wait for the HD Rocket to arrive.

Have a Great weekend!

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Hey you too! Like I said in the original post, the Aristocrat Jr. is one well built heavy shaver and the heavy plate is far less likely to be damaged from a drop or improper shipping. They are the tanks of the Gillette realm.

You've persuaded me to using mine tonight! :D

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

That day is here! :D

Keep looking you never know. This one just came out of no where.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ctakim

ctakim Member

This is a seriously informative thread! Just read it for the first time.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

NICE 16!!! Where did you find that?! Congratulations and enjoy!

16. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Nice find on the 16 Chris. Whatdya mean it just came out of nowhere?

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It was an unexpected eBay buy it now that I couldn't afford (to pass up) and had to scramble to finance.

18. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Well dern good spottin!! Congrats!

Money will always come and go, but a 16?? :happy102

19. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

What a great thread!:eatdrink004

20. texbilly

texbilly New Member

I'm hooked...or SICK!

Wetshaving for years but with "typical" new construction DE razors (most of which are really nice mind you). Recently joined forums :laugh042 and read way, WAY too much ;) about various products and DE razors specifically.

When the dust settled over the last three weeks, I became (or will when received) the proud owner of.....'55 SS, '59 Fatboy (these two have been outstanding so far), '60s Super Adjustable, '53 SS, GEM G-Bar, Lot of (6) '40s-'50s SS, and (2) Rockets. Some good deals pending cleanup, some I probably paid too much, all COOL so I don't care! More later after I have time take it all in. Especially the Rockets....:D