Gillette Silver Blue Stainless

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by madmedic, Jul 18, 2007.

1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Gillette Silver Blues are a quality blade made in the Czech Republic. I bought mine from one of our members and his website description describes them as 'A professional quality' blade.

These blades are both smooth and sharp. They come double wrapped in a standard cardboard box with no blade disposal facility. I never use a blade past 4 x 3 pass shaves..so they fulfilled my requirements exactly. I am sure I could have stretched them out further.....but at the price ....why bother . In my opinion they performed as well as the much more expensive 'Swede' (but is only an opinion). Pricing is good with an option for bulk purchase.

All in all a good blade.

2. dmikel

dmikel New Member

These are my all time favorite blades and I've bought a lifetimes supply from Paul at Connaught Shaving who is the only vendor that carries them.

I get effortless BBS shaves from them in my Merkur 38-C with no irritation and at about 1/3 the cost of the Swedes, they are a real bargain too.

3. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

I have nearly run out of my supply of Swedes which are no longer made, hard to find, and very expensive. Of all the blades I have tried these blades these blades perform as well as the Swedes, in my opinion. They are smooth and could very well be sharper than Swedes. I agree with the prior posts-great blade. Unfortunately these blades are no longer in production but fortunately they are still available at a reasonable cost. Try them and if you like them buy them. Current market price is $20/100 shipped. I don't think they will be available at this price for long.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The closest to that price I found was on Ebay, $21.99 shipped.

Everyone else I looked at has them in the $30+ range before shipping.

5. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

razorsdirect.com with discount code THANKS $19.94/100 shipped

Queen of Blades likes this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Thanks!
    Still not the "current market price". Just the best price. :happy088:

7. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

What is the "market price"?

Vendor 1 $21.99
    Vendor 2 $19.94
    Vendor 3 $32+ range before shipping

8. Queen of Blades

Googling the product name brings up a bunch of vendors selling these blades. :) Razors Direct didn't even show up in the first 2 pages, though.
    Current market price, IMO, is what most vendors are asking. Most vendors are asking $30+.

Not trying to argue. Just didn't find the deal you knew about.

9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Anyone now if these blades are still manufactured in Russia? They seem easy to find and that gives me hope. I love this blade, just tried it from my sampler pack.

10. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Like Mr. Leo K, I am also wondering about the continued existence of this blade.
    Some say it has been discontinued, while other say that the production has moved from The Czech Republic to Russia.

It is a known fact that they are now being manufactured in St. Petersburg, but since the rumours regarding this blade's demise are very much alive, I am very interested in news about this matter.
    I am rather fond of this blade, and would like to be prepared for any eventuality :)

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like them and ordered 200 earlier in the week since they were on sale $18.30 a hundred shipped.

Mine are all from St Petersburg and shave very well for me.

12. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

They're allright...
    SilverBlue.jpg

Norseman likes this.
  13. Norseman

I have a few hundred myself. Lovely blade.
    But if they have been discontinued, I need to stock up. :)

14. Queen of Blades

The post in this thread that mentions them being discontinued is nearly a year old. Have you seen any other posts here or elsewhere about these being discontinued?

15. Norseman

Yes, it comes up at regular intervals on various other forums. I guess it is mostly rumours and hearsay. I do not know, really. That's why I am asking here :)
    But since the Gillette 7 o'clock blue disappeared so suddenly (to me, at least), I thought it prudent to make inquiries just in case.

16. Queen of Blades

Okay, I was just checking to make sure you weren't basing it on just that one post. :)

Many loved products have been discontinued over the nearly 8 years I've been around shaving forums. My advice to quote 2 historic ladies would be to CHARGE IT!
    flintstones.jpg

That means buy buy buy. ;)

Norseman likes this.
  17. Norseman

I've just ordered another hundred. :)
    I remember one TSD member who purchased 5000 of these. I do not need that many, but I guess a thousand might be handy to have in reserve
    Maybe next year

Queen of Blades likes this.