GILLETTE TACTICAL

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, May 25, 2013.

1. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Is it OK to ask who is doing these Dura Coat and Cera Coat jobs? Very tempting.:happy036:

Novacula likes this.
  2. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

INCREDIBLY HOT!!!!! I think i like the .45 ACP better.

3. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

AWESOME!!!!!!
    :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

4. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Did you jut find a local duracoat guy to apply it or did they do razors before?

5. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I'm going to do an experiment. I need to find some razors with junk plating and I'm going to use some engine bake on enamels to paint with. As a mechanic I have access to a bead blaster at work for adhesion. As well as torches for soldering etc. I'm thinking up some cool color combos...

6. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

And then there's also powder coating where you electrically charge the item and its plastic pellets that you melt and spray with a special gun. That way it hits all the hard to reach areas. Maybe that's similar to this coating on yours Weeper?

7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I have thought that as well, DuraCoat is a bake on coating but you have to have a stove that will never be used for food again. Power Coat feels rough to the touch, doesn't it? If so it would be great for handles but not doors. The best think about Dura/Cera coating are the they are flexible so if you drop the razor, It wont chip off.

What are you thinks of doing with torches?

8. Weeper Warrior

Second shave with the razor, still amazed that it has improved the glide. There is still no soap scum build up on the razor. The shave was with MWF and a Rapira Platinum Lux blade.

2013-05-27 21.18.54.JPG

9. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Looks pretty nice.

There was a guy on another forum that did the same thing, but left the safety bars, end caps, and center post nickel. Same red on the numbers are yours. That also looked really nice.

10. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

If someone manufactured a new razor like that and paired it with a slick marketing campaign, I bet they could sell a lot of them. Merkur seems to be the only game in town as far as new adjustables go, and something cool-looking like your "Tactical Fatboy" or the Rhodium-plated one recently posted in another thread, combined with the gadget appeal of it being adjustable, would probably sell like hotcakes in the right markets.

Novacula likes this.
  11. Weeper Warrior

China started making a futur copy. Russia make a slim and super copy. Nobody has copied the Fatboy, :angry032: I would buy one for a travel razor.

12. Novacula

Novacula Member

If someone figured out how to mass-coat these in the $20 - $40 price range, I think you could skip the manufacturing and cut straight to making paper by just fixing the ugly 'Fat Boys' that we all have floating around. No patents necessary.

I clearly have no idea of how much the materials and labor costs for a restoration like this...but, I know that I have about 6 FBs/Slims that could use some new skin. I just can't stomach the idea of replating them at $60 - $100 each. At $30, though? I would have all of them redressed.

Sontag likes this.
  13. Techichi

Techichi New Member

I'm thinking about doing an old faded Fat Boy I have in black and gold....oh yeah. :cool:

14. DirtDiver

DirtDiver Member

This is sweet!! I want to make myself one now haha

15. Paul Hunnisett

Paul Hunnisett New Member

That's stunning!

ChiefShaver likes this.
  16. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

That´s so AWESOME!!! How did you do this?! Have you sent the razor to a company who did this wonderful work or did you do it yourself?! As i read on the Internet there is a set to make it all by myself.With a airbrush gun and 2 cans...

It would be nice if you would give me info about this fantastic work.I´m really flashed right now!!! Wow!!! :signs021:

17. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Am I missing the info about who does these? Thanks

18. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I googled "duracoat" and contacted who I found until I got one with experience with razors. I'm getting one done as we speak. Don't want to recommend until I see the work. It will be about a few weeks.

ChiefShaver and Novacula like this.
  19. RHood

RHood Well-Known Member

Has anybody given thought to the "shake and spray" duracoat product? http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenspray.html ....there are other suppliers out there as well.
    Seems like a viable option that wouldn't require the bake. I am thinking of trying it on a couple of my "user" grade razors to see how it comes out. There is a caveat though - the product info says that Duracoat (baked or unbaked) over brass should only be used in a low wear situation. I would think shaving would be reasonably low wear compared to what a rifle or pistol would be subjected to? Thoughts?

20. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I googled it too,but it seems not to be the easiest thing to get...In Germany it´s not available...Spoke to some weapon shops near my hometown and everyone of them asked me: What is DuraCoat?! :(

@GlennConti: Hope you post pictures from the razor.I think many of us would like to see pictures and read if it was worth the money.Please give us Informations about it.:)

My last chance will be 2 customers of the company i work for...2 gunsmith´s...Perhaps i have a little more luck there.If not,would it be very nice if someone of you have a reliable adress for me,so i could send my Fatboy there and get it "DuraCoated".:)