GILLETTE TACTICAL

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, May 25, 2013.

1. Bustedup

Bustedup New Member

There are several coatings available from BROWNELL'S. There is a spray on coating, THAT IF APPLIED PROPERLY , must be removed mechanically, it is so tough. . It is around $30 a can and you have to bead blast the piece prior to spraying and the. You bake it. A toaster oven is fine since you bake it at 300 degrees.

2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Well Tactical fans, I just got an email that my razor is finished being coated! I haven't received it yet so still can't recommend. But here it is. I chose a desert camouflage color. It May not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it. Nice thing is there are lots of colors to choose from. When I get it I've still got to paint the numbers.

GilletteTactical.jpg

Sontag, secretum, Doryferon and 5 others like this.
  3. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Nice bit of kit guys.

Hmmm, I do have a FB floating around...

GlennConti likes this.
  4. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

That is sweet!

GlennConti likes this.
  5. GlennConti

My Slim Tactical is perfect for when you are in the field and want a quick shave but don't want to be picked off by a sniper. :happy068:

5Savages and Weeper Warrior like this.
  6. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Really digging these! Would make for the perfect graduation present in December! I'll have to show SWMBO this thread...weeper/glen do u guys have contact info for where u had these done?

7. GlennConti

I haven't physically seen mine yet so can't recommend a provider just yet. But a clever gent could look at the photo of my razor and figure it out. ;) I will be clearer when I actually receive my razor and feel more comfortable about it.

8. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Found it! Thx!

GlennConti likes this.
  9. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

I love the finish on both of these razors. Probably not ready to do it now, but may in the future. Like others, it would be great if source/vendor info could be posted. :cool:

10. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

I must not be a clever fellow. I couldn't find it. Looks like CJames found it though. I'll be patient and wait.

11. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Hint...Round patch under the slim...

Tuffy likes this.
  12. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

I was looking at the round patch, but wasn't putting together some of the missing pieces. I guess I should stay off of Wheel of Fortune! I did a few more Google searches and got it.

One of my hobbies is target shooting and I sometimes lurk on some shooting forums. The guys on those forums love to dress up their guns with cerakote. I bet they would love razors to match their guns, even if they aren't into DE shaving.

13. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Nice! Some cool colors too! Not sure bout the hot pink though...

14. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Love that tactical green! Black and green would look cool too. He'll, any tactical combo would look good! Ima' tactical kinda guy.

15. GlennConti

I just got my Gillette Tactical in the mail. It looks beautiful however the TTO mechanism is now rough. There is like a subtle grinding when I use it. I worked it in a bit by continually opening and closing it. My next step is to soak it in mineral oil to see if I can get the roughness out of it. We'll see.

16. dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch Active Member

I think that looks awesome. I especially like the red numbers. I may just buy a Fatboy and have that done.

17. DirtDiver

DirtDiver Member

Id really like to get this done. Where did you guys send them? I'm not good at solving riddles :whacky011:

18. GlennConti

When the Cerakote coating gets fixed to the surface this requires heat in an oven. I believe that this heating process caused all the internal lubricant to go away. So what I did was put a drop of mineral oil on each moving part. Down the throat with the silo doors open. And where the TTO knob meets the handle. I kept working the TTO knob and I would say 95% of the "roughness" has gone away. A soak in mineral oil may even be better but I didn't want to waste that much oil or do the cleanup afterward. So that being said I can recommend a provider of Cerakote coating.

http://www.4bushweaponsrefinishingsystems.com

Jeff is the owner. My landed cost was $36.00 plus the freight to get the razor out there. He takes payment via PayPal but won't take payment until you approve a photo of his work. He does not disassemble the razor. So two tone razors maybe impossible for him to do. For an additional $25.00 he offered to get any color that Cerakote offered, you see you are limited to the colors he has on hand. I went with one of his stock colors. Here is a comprehensive list of all colors available:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/

Hope this helps out. Enjoy. :)

JBSharp and Weeper Warrior like this.
  19. DirtDiver

DirtDiver Member

Great! Thanks! How long was the lead time? (sorry if that was already answered) Im trying to get one done for my little brother before he comes home from the Army. :transport024:

20. GlennConti

Jeff had my razor for just over two weeks (17 days to be exact) just add in transit time to and from. PS: After letting the razor sit for an hour and a half and reworking the TTO 100% of the "roughness" is gone. I'm a happy camper. :)