Gillette Tech Heavy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave McQueen, Apr 29, 2015.

?

What should I do with my grandfather's/father's/mine Gillette Tech Heavy?

1. Go for the Gold

62.5%
  2. Change it up with Nickel or Chrome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What the heck are you thinking noob...leave it all original.

37.5%
  1. Shave McQueen

Shave McQueen New Member

Have the Gillette Tech Heavy that my grandfather and father both used. It seems to be in pretty good shape but I'm thinking I'd really like to get it refinished. Original color is gold so I'm tempted to go that route but there are some pretty nice other non-gold finishes as well. I think I'd sacrifice a little durability in the gold but it's the most true to the original. What say you?

2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Honestly I would not refinish a family heirloom. Every scratch scuff and wear mark tells the story of three generations of use. Refinished it will be just another eBay looking item.

jakie55 and Shave McQueen like this.
  3. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I can understand what some people say about not touching it and everything, but honestly it's kind of like if my grandfather or father gave me their rusty 65 Mustang that they bought new from the lot I wouldn't let it stay rusty. It will still have all the history it came with but now it will shine like it was meant to do.

4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Two terrific answers. I agree with both.

Glad I could help.

Drygulch, SDK, swarden43 and 4 others like this.
  5. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Refurbishing a family heirloom to be handed down to further generations, in pristine condition, does not, in my opinion, devalue the razor at all. Now, as to material to finish??? keep it original looking, or make it more radical looking. That is a matter of esthetics. Only you can answer that one.

Shave McQueen and DEfettish like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd leave it, but that's me.
    You gotta do what is going to please you, not us.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

pics would sway me.
    if it was really beat up, prolly redo it.
    just a little ruff, if leave it.
    it's really up to you, it'll shave the same either way.

trey06dmd, Jayaruh and Shave McQueen like this.
  8. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

I'd say go for the gold. Since that was the original finish.

Pics please! May that heirloom last a few more generations!

Shave McQueen likes this.
  9. Shave McQueen

Shave McQueen New Member

Appreciate the opinion. Not sure what will please me that's why I'm asking the pros. :)

Pics coming this evening for those who would like to see it.

By the way, I took an old toothbrush and some Crest to the knurled handle last night and it really cleaned it up (old secret for cleaning up your class ring too). I must say that I'm leaning toward leaving it now.....but still thinking.

Edit: Pics as promised.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

None of the above. Go with Rhodium plating.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I agree with David.

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I would go gold. Keep it the way Grandpa had it. You will have an heirloom to hand down. Whatever you decide, congrats! That is a special razor!!

Bob

13. jakie55

The razor seems perfectly shaveable the way it is. It really is your call, and either way, enjoy the history in your hands.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So the "pros" are saying to replate it, but also don't do anything and leave it as is :p

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    jakie55 and Shave McQueen like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

If you are going to replate it, I would think gold would be the way to go. However, I'm tending to follow along with some of the crowd and say leave it as is. I had a couple of razors I purchased replated and although they look fantastic, I sort of wish I hadn't. There is something about the character of an original razor that I find appealing.

16. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Based on the pics I'd say keep it as is. But if you do decide to replate, I'd go gold personally.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  17. Shave McQueen

Shave McQueen New Member

Thanks everyone for the insights, observations, and opinions. The razor shaves beautifully as it is right now. I'm inclined to keep it as is for right now, satisfied with the knowledge that I can always decide to have it re-plated but I can never go back once I do it.

@Troy M - This was the deciding factor for me. I've had such nice shaves with it the last two days that I wondered if re-plating could possibly affect more than just the looks. I know the plating is very very thin but I couldn't stand the thought of getting it back all nice and sparkly only to find out the shave quality has been affected.

Thanks to all. I knew I'd find the right answer here.

Drygulch likes this.
  18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

If it were me and I had the cash I would go Rhodium.

19. jakie55

I read somewhere else on this wonderful forum, that one can shave successfully with a razor that has all the plating worn off. As your shaves are good as the razor sits, and the razor has character, good on ya for your decision!

20. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

I'd probably keep it as is since it's from the family.