Gillette Tech Sport

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I don't feel like posting a pic - you all know what a Tech Sport looks like. Zamak head, aluminum handle, cost $1 when it came out. You with me? This was the cheapest of cheap when it came to Gillette razors.

Shaved with mine again this morning. Bear in mind, I have been chiefly using a Fatboy or Slim for the past 6 months - with a Brass Tech or Super Speed Blue Tip thrown in for variety.

This little Tech defies logic. It shouldn't shave this well. It's a throw away, right? Disposable, basically. I am not a fan of Zamak, but this Tech gives such a nice shave that it rivals my most expensive Fatboy!

How can my least favorite razor shave as good or BETTER than my beloved adjustables?

Well, it does.

Back to your regularly scheduled Friday afternoon. Have a good weekend, guys and gals.

Knox

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm not sure if it's a throw away. Great razor though

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

And SUPER mild!

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Mild but very efficient.

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Your face and your technique must accomadate the mildness of the tech. I'm guessing mild razors are your sweet spot

6. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Why would anyone presume a Zamak construction has anything to do with shave quality? Or be surprised that an adjustable must adopt some compromises that a fixed head doesn't? I'm with you , I kept my Tech and sold the Fatty. The simple truth is that an adjustable enables folks with poor technique to get a more efficient shave than they would with a mild, fixed head razor. It doesn't mean those with good technique can't get the same or even superior shave from that mild razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I am starting to appreciate my Techs more and more. I am just surprised at how well this Sport treated my face. It is so light, but it may be the best shaver I own.

I won't sell my adjustables, but IF I had to keep one razor, it would be a Tech.

PanChango, Jorvaljr and jmudrick like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Pics please.

10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Zamac gets a bad rap. Gillette started using Zamac heads over a half century ago and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of them are still out there, being used and looking as good as when they were new.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've had a few; if taken care of they'll last for years! :D Just don't drop.

12. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Dropping razors is generally a bad thing. Teeth get bent, guards get bent, heads snap off, alignment gets messed up, plates get bent...

Enrico likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Kind of like babies? .... :signs081:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

15. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Proof that a good razor doesn't have to cost a lot, also proof that more expensive razors don't shave any better than good cheap ones.

Vintage; Spend 10 or 15 bucks and get an OLD or a Tech.

Modern; Spend 20 or 25 bucks and get a Fatip Piccolo.

16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Ok ok. Give me a bit.

17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

IMG_2523.JPG Here it is. The aluminum handled Gillette Tech Sport.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Invisible picture. Try again.

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like my techs. They are all good shavers.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

What year is it?