Gillette TV Rocket

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by alpla444, Aug 26, 2013.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

A few weeks ago I bought a TV super speed, from 1958 (trust me when I say I was near mint condition, with a little polishing could poss pass it off as NOS)
    P1040700(1).JPG
    The TV super speed is on the left!!! the Rocket is Rhodium plated on the handle, many newer people to the world of wet/De shaving often ask whats the deal with Rhodium well thats it right there, Ive only cleaned it with soapy water, that Rhodium does shine bright.
    The Rocket is as 60g in weight as opposed to 56g of the ss and the Rocket knob at the bottom recesses in to the razor when turned, as opposed to the ss which stays at the same length. I dont know why most (maybe all) rockets do this, also the TTO movement is much smoother with the Rocket.
    So does it shave better???? Its to early for me to say yet more testing is required. P1040701(1).JPG
    A couple more pictures.
    P1040703(1).JPG
    The head is NOT Rhodium plated its Nickel (not sure why) I would assume cost and also if it was full Rhodium plated why buy the Aristocrat. and it would also set it apart from other Rocket models.
    The TV Rockets are quite rare as I think they where also made for 1 year (1958) Ive been after one for awhile now, so I'm happy to finally get one.

2. newb

newb Resident Newb

Man, IMHO the TV is the best shaving SS available. To me the TV's are a close second to a Red tip in quality of shave in Gillettes TTO's. Great purchase. Congrats.

3. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

NICE find, alpla444.

If you don't mind me asking, was that an eBay purchase?

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent score. Gillette did some mixed plated razors with some of the British Rocket series and the President series in the US. It gave a mid point priced razor that provided a bit more "bling" than the lower level razors, but could still be affordable for many buyers that would not pay for the British Aristocrat series or the U.S. Executive series.

Enjoy them both in good health!

newb likes this.
  5. Larry T

Larry T Member

I have two of the '58 TV Superspeeds, both mint in the box. I saw two of them in different auctions on the 'bay, figured I'd throw bids on both and hope to win one of them. As it turns out, I won both. I was going to sell one, but they are such nice shavers, I decided to put one in my rotation, and save the other as a backup. Congratulations, nice score!

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yes it was ebay. Its a very good shaver.