gillette yellow sharp edge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Apr 11, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

hello shavers,i used a gillette yellow sharp edge blade and for the first time i wore it out before my usual weekly throwaway.third shave started last night and partway through the first pass it felt like the edge fell off.i was using a #1 rocket and had 4 days growth,barrister and mann latha soap and the usual preshave/hot towel prep.this is the first gillette blade(i have gsb,platinums,gillette/wilkinsons) to fail at the three shave mark.also not as sharp as the others.has anyone else noticed this with these blades?would a duller blade work better in a more aggressive razor? just curious,thanks gary

Keithmax and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

It could have been a bad blade. With 4 days growth though, I would have suggested a GSB blade

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

thank you ,i will retry the yellow.the GSB,platinum, astra sp and voskods all work the best for me in my rockets and always go past my 3-4 shaves per blade limit(1 blade per week). GSB blades always mow down my heavy growth comfortably and without dulling out.mind you i have never gone past 4 shaves per blade so far.i purchased the yellow sharp edge as a cheaper alternative to the GSB.maybe the yellow would be better for lighter growth or may work differently in my tech razors.thank you again gary.

Demidog likes this.
  4. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Yea the yellows tend to degrade after the 3rd shave, I only shaved with 1 so far from the 100 pack I have.... Maybe I got a funky one too, got up to 5 shaves with it but the 5th shave was not at all pleasant.

brit likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Try the 7 o'clock Green. Almost equal to the GSB.

FranklinFurter and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

thank you,are the greens the russian ones?

7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Affirmative

8. brit

brit in a box

thank you,gary

9. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

agree, blues and greens are longer lasting and tad sharper, although all Gillette made in Russia blades feel pretty similar performance wise

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the blade. While it could have been a bad blade maybe, the yellow should have been fine. I would look at lather. If your beard wasn't properly hydrated, it could make for a pretty rough for the shave.

brit likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very YOMV. I like the Yellows for a smooth shave. I found the Blacks more harsh. Could be I have a lighter beard.

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i think prep and lather were ok same as usual.halfway through first pass the blade went rough.a new voskhod(closest on hand) went in and shaved like nothing had happened.this is why i didnt think soap at first.thank you for the suggestion,gary

RyX and PanChango like this.
  13. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

For me the GSB were draggy and not that sharp. I did try several from the same tuck. The Yellow Sharp Edge were much less draggy and performed much better. The Astra SP was similar for me to the yellow Sharp Edge but lasted a day or so longer. Of course, I can dull most blades in 3 days.

RyX, brit and Demidog like this.
  14. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Had my first shave with the 7 O'Clock Yellows and they were decent. Not the greatest I've tried, but certainly not the worst. It felt like I had to go over areas multiple times than I normally do. I do have a few packs, but I don't think they are ones I'll be buying 100cts of.

I have some Voskhods, but I haven't tried them yet. I will be tomorrow though. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    brit and RyX like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i am thinking they will work better with a more aggressive razor for me. i am used to my gsb .sharp, no issues.proven blades over the years,made for a long time.

16. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Very true, the razor can make the difference as well. I always use my Pre-War Gillette Tech and it just might not be the blade for that particular DE. I've been loving my Personna Lab Blues in it though.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

sharp blades in my prewar and other techs are awesome.in my rockets also.i shave every 2-3 days and my beard is like wire.as always a learning process.