Gin Drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by voice940, Jan 6, 2012.

1. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

As luck would have it, my wife was making G&T's last night and asked if I wanted one. SURE! I expect the usual, served in a high ball glass, but no...she comes out of the kitchen with my drink in a big-ass tumbler! It was good night!

2. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Hell yeah! Some of my best nights started with gin!! However, they usually ended up with people having to tell me what the heck happened! :)

battle.munky likes this.
  3. 5Savages

That happened to me in college years back and it was 10 or 12 years before I was able to drink gin again.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Mine is SoCo.....

5. voice940

voice940 Member

I find that Bombay has a bit more citrus undertone than Tanqueray. Both are quite good for pretty much any gin drink...

6. 5Savages

Sounds like I need to do a taste test tonight and see if I can pick up on that citrus, and if at first I don't succeed, I'll try, try again.

voice940 likes this.
  7. voice940

voice940 Member

Practice makes perfect, my friend.

5Savages likes this.
  8. DFrancis

DFrancis Member

Hendrick's G&T with a touch of lime is a favourite of mine, with summer on its way it'll be time to stock up again.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

DFrancis likes this.
  10. DFrancis

DFrancis Member

HAHA, is Dennis not around today?

a-hem ... Hendrick's Gin will give you long life and happiness... drink some today!

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

He will make the rounds eventually!

12. 5Savages

Sorry guys, last night I had a taste of something that will be bumping the Gin & Tonic out of the top spot in my liquor rotation for a while...probably through the summer. 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey. It's made by the Cooley Distillery in Ireland, and bottled and distributed by a local former pub owner, Kieran Folliard. Folliard owned 4 or 5 irish pubs in the Twin Cities area, including The Local, which has sold more Jameson Irish Whiskey over the last 5 years than any other pub in the world. To avoid running afoul of liquor laws, he had to sell his ownership of the pubs before starting his venture into Irish whiskey.

My bro-in-law treated me to a shot of it yesterday followed by a couple of mighty tasty "Big Gingers", which is 2 Gingers, Ginger Ale, and wedges of lime and lemon. It was heaven!

I don't know how widespread the distribution is, but if you find it, I recommend it. It sells for about $20 a bottle around here.

[​IMG]

13. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Gin? Yes please!

Usually Bombay Sapphire, although have recently tasted and found to like both Hendrick's Gin from Scotland and Martin Miller's Gin from England. Truly excellent spirits!

14. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

peer pressurers....summer has already come to TX. After reading this I will have to pick up some gin.

15. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Now you've got me thinking about gin, and it's not even 1:00pm yet. ;-)

Standard martini gin for me is Tangueray, but I've also really been enjoying Ransom Old Tom Gin lately.

16. maskaggs

maskaggs New Member

To answer the question, why yes, I do Tanqueray. Few beverages are as refreshing as a T&T, lime wedge optional. I tried with a lemon last week and enjoyed it.

I'd say the only unmanly thing about drinking is telling another man what ought to be in his glass. If my drink was insulted and I was called a foul name, I'd suggest the other man's glass could fit in a rather small space down below.

17. dougkc

dougkc Member

Hendrick's and Tonic with cucumber slice...refreshing!

18. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

Sapphire with 2 limes...if there's a better gin than sapphire I want to taste it. I have never had a high end gin because I fell in love with the sapphire and saw zero need to go beyond.

19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I used to think I couldn't stand gin, then (this Summer) I realized that I just can't stand Tangeray. But, I'm quite contented with Seagrams (tho I do like Saphire as well). Seagrams has a pretty nice lime flavored gin as well.

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Seagrams is the only kind I remember having. I haven't puked that up too many times, so I think I can go back to drinking that.