Ginkgo biloba & eleuthero (Siberian ginseng)

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Sep 17, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've been taking this the past several days to hopefully help alleviate symptoms of low thyroid while I wait until my endocrinologist appointment in mid December (TSH was elevated a month ago, then even higher two weeks ago, but free T4 reads low normal...GP is puzzled so I'm off to the expert). Anyway, brain fog and recall had grown worse to the point I was fearing early onset Alzheimer's, but a cat scan said that's not the issue.

Someone suggested trying this blend to see if it starts to help, though it can take a few weeks. Not sure the recall is really any better yet but I do note my mood is somewhat more stable despite no reduction in stress at work; in fact, it's increased. That's apparently something the ginseng can do.

Has anyone had longer term experience with these herbs? What have you found? All input welcome.

crackstar and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I drink these ginseng drinks from time to time. They come In a 10 pack of small glass bottles. Has honey in it and tastes pretty good. Gives a nice energy boost without any negative side effects, at least no side effects so far.
    20160917_185432.jpg

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've seen those but cannot recall where.

4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I can't remember why I take the ginko either. LOL

Don

richgem and gorgo2 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good, someone else understands me!

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

You've already had the cat scan and an official diagnosis of no Alzheimer's. But to add to that, my daughter, who is finishing her masters in psychology, says if you know you've got a memory problem, you don't have Alzheimer's. It's when you have no idea you have a problem that you really have a problem.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. Thing is, I scored 8/10 on one of those somewhat alarmist online self-diagnoses (yeah, I know, I know...), but when I asked my wife to score me on the test based on what she sees, she also came up with 8/10. But, it's ruled out.

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Really glad that has been ruled out. I've had one older friend and an aunt die from Alzheimer's, and an uncle currently suffering with it. No disease is pretty, but Alzheimer's is really tough.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I stayed with my grandma for a summer to help take care of her during her early stages of Alzheimer's. She was terrified for quite a while because she knew her mind was going. It was kind of a sad blessing after a year that her mind got so bad that she wasn't afraid anymore.
    My dad is starting down a similar road which makes me afraid for my future.

I've done a lot of reading on supplements and its a very mixed bag. There are a few studies that have found that some supplements appear to help with Alzheimer's but not prevent it. The only one I'm aware of that may have some possible memory loss preventative qualities is Huperzine-A. The data is still pretty limited when it comes to prevention but this supplement does appear to help some Alzheimer's patients.
    Huperzine-A is pretty cheap so it might be worth adding to your regimen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

After speaking with my folks, there's no history of Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia that they're aware of anywhere in the family tree, so at this point I'm going to focus on the thyroid (besides, we have a pattern of falling apart in other ways).

Dzia Dzia and BamaT like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My GP says getting old isn't for sissies! My ENT used a cruder version that I won't repeat here! Back issues run in my mother's side, which I already have. Also heart disease, but my GP says so far I'm looking good in that regard.

12. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

You have a Brother who knows your infirmities well. I'll be giving Him a word for you.

Don

gorgo2 and BamaT like this.
  13. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I don't know about ginkgo or ginseng but I believe that improving basic nutrition would be beneficial. In particular, increasing vitamin A/beta carotenes may be helpful. There has been some research which supports this. Increasing consumption of green leafy vegetables such as spinach, orange vegetables such as sweet potato, butternut squash, fruits like cantaloupe, etc. are good sources. There are various carotenes so variety is best. Reducing wheat, dairy and sugar may also help. Googling "inflammatory foods" can give you more guidance. There is also research indicating that meditation can be helpful, possibly by reducing stress. There are many simple guides to help in getting started available online.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    gorgo2 likes this.
  14. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I don't know if you are on any medications but some meds can cause symptoms you are reporting. There is growing research showing that statin drugs can cause profound memory issues for some people. There are some doctors becoming more vocal about cholesterol being very important for brain health and that statin drugs may do more brain harm than good. Only time will tell but some are theorizing that statin drugs will greatly increase Alzheimer's rates.
    If you decide to go with any kind of supplementation I highly recommend you subscribe to consumerlab.com to make sure you get your money's worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gorgo2 and gzp like this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That is interesting! I'm on a low dose of lovastatin for cholesterol. May have to bring that up to my GP on next visit.

16. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Check your local library for a book, "Brain Longevity" by Dharma Singh Khalsa, it has information about slowing/preventing alzheimers.