Glycerin Shave Soap Pictorial No.1 - In Bowl

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by TraderJoe, Feb 4, 2007.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I should have read this before I spend 20 minutes trying to make lather with soap and eventually gave up and just used my cream.

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have to ask...why did it take 20 minutes?????????? :confused: How were you trying to make lather?

Raf

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I just swirled my brush around the top of my soap and started trying to make it in my bowl. I now realize that there wasn't nearly enough water in my brush and putting a little bit of hot water in the soap dish may help too. Time for round 2.

4. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

JK, try this: wet your brush under running hot water, squeezing it once or twice, then wet again. Give it a good shake or two, and then rub the tips briskly over the soap until a lather starts to form. Keep rubbing for 30-45 seconds to make sure you get enough soap on the brush.

Brush the soap coating over all your wet beard, then brush it vigorously it build the lather there. You may well have to add a driblet of hot water to the center of the brush to get enough water in the mix. Just brush vigorously, and when you have the lather you want, the brush itself should hold plenty for the later passes.

5. likwidoxigen

likwidoxigen New Member

Wow, that was exactly what I needed. I acutally just asked for tips on another forum about lathering from a soap. Thanks so much!

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

great tutorial.Thanks sir!

7. cogito

cogito New Member

I work at it daily but I have yet to achieve a lather as rich as your. I hope some of my new samples will help.

8. CloseShaver

CloseShaver Member

Great Pics and instructions

Thanks for the tutorial. I will try this with my glycerin soaps now! I'll let you know how it goes. I am still somewhat of newbie with the glycerin soaps.

9. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

I second that! Strong work..

10. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I prefer the glycerin soaps. I just like the clear ones better.

11. Goby

Goby New Member

I bought a Savile Row brush about 5 years ago for about $20.00. I thought it was a cheap brush because badger hair brushes at Crabtree & Evelyn were about $75.00.

After 5 years the brush is still amazing.

12. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Great pics Joe! You work the lather like some some men work the clay and paint in fine masterpieces. Picasso couldn't have done it better. Nice :happy096

13. Boseero

Boseero Member

Nice pics!

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I never soak any of my soaps prior to use and still get lather as pictured.

Please take into account you may have a different brush, different soap and different hardness of water.
    The trick is to find the water/soap ratio that works with the equipment you have.

As Joe said in his original post, "Experimentation is encouraged!"

15. hddm3

hddm3 New Member

Ya, i only dream of lather like that. I think i need a better brush.

16. Brian

Brian Active Member

Great looking lather, now I have something to shoot for in comparison!

17. JCinPA

JCinPA Member

Two questions ...

1. Why lather in the bowl and then transfer to the scuttle? Is it harder to lather directly in the scuttle? I've been lathering in the scuttle bowl itself and having less than perfect results. I'm experimenting with less than hottest water, truthfully just warm lather is fine. Anything but cold. I think too much heat is an issue, though.

2. Do you know how much water you are adding, and how long are you mixing? I may be having issues not because of the scuttle but because I'm not adding water along the way. I'm guessing you add about a half teaspoon (I'm trying to be precise) 2-3 times as you build and are building for about 2 mintues? But I'd like to know.

I'm not a soap collector and I'd like to get to your stage of lather mastery with one product. Not there yet. :(

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

1 - yeah, I've found water that is too hot thins out the lather in my scuttle

2 - doesn't matter how much water he is adding. I don't say that to be a wise ---, just that his water may be harder or softer than yours. The only way to find out the right amount of water for you is to experiment. Same thing goes for how long he spends building the lather. His brush may pick up more or less soap than yours - that, along with the water hardness or softness, may or may not be anything that will work for you.

Again, not trying to be smart (honest!), just some reasons why what works for others may not work for you. By all means, try the tricks and tips. Hopefully you'll come across something that will work for you.

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Also to note, you're asking Joe questions, and he isn't going to answer them. He has been gone for a few years now. :(

20. flyfisher151

flyfisher151 New Member

Well even if he has not been around for a few years thanks for the lesson.