Go to convenience and relaxation razor!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Pilotcld, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Hey all! Long time no see! Sorry I haven’t posted in a while! In Sept I moved and started a new job at the airlines at the same time and now after 3 months of training and a month and a half of figuring out where my head is, I’m back!

I noticed something funny in the last few months. I will add at the beginning that I love my razors that I have. But there are some that we better for convenience and some that are better for relaxation. I didn’t know this would be true about shaving.

Convenience - I travel with one of two razors. The first razor is a 46 or 47 Schick injector. These have been so great for morning shaves when I wake up in the hotel and have to shave before running to my shuttle. I do a quick shave WTG and XTG and it leaves me feeling pretty darn smooth. Only takes about 5 minutes and I love it! Also, I’ve noticed that with the Gillette blades I can get about 10 shaves in before having to switch blades!
    The second razor being a Gillette travel razor that I posted about a while ago that I bought at an antique shop. It has also been a wonderful razor for me. I take it with me less often because I don’t want TSA to gripe about the DE razors, but I still take them with me time to time.
    The only thing I’ve noticed about both of these razors. is they don’t do so well with Cremo shave cream.. has anyone else had this problem? The shave is fine, but getting the cream to wash out before continuing the shave has been an issue.

Relaxation-
    My relaxation razor I think with always be my straight razor. I use my great-Grandpa’s DublDuck razor and it just always feels great. It feels great to slow down and take my time with a shave. And I have to slow down or else I’ll cuz myself haha. I also received a SR from a member here as a loaner and it has been working awesome as his. His was a round tip and it’s nice not to have to worry as much about cutting myself.
    I have a third razor, Dollar razor, that I won from a raffle website for free. I didn’t even get to use it once because I had it sitting for a month or so in my bathroom and it already has some rust marks.

So questions
    1: Does anyone have problems with Cremo?
    2: Should I keep my SR’s stored in my bedroom because our bathroom is in the basement and doesn’t have a fan.
    3: what is our go to quick shaver and your go to relaxation shaver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Hodge, Bama Samurai, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well, :signs046: back @Pilotcld. As to answer your questions, I may not be best suited to them.

1) I've only used a couple of time, with neither positive or negative results. I usually use Sterling Soaps.
    2) As for your straights; I would store them in the room with the lowest humidity (and away from children obviously).
    3)My quick go to relaxing razor may be different than some as that I haven't gotten into straights yet, but I enjoy my English Flare or a pre war Tech.

Pilotcld likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My "Go To, Relaxing Razor", has always been a 1959 Gillette Fatboy. It was the first Gillette Fat Boy I ever acquired, and the first one I had replated, by Razor Emporium. Always great shaves. I prefer Straights, for my daily shaves, but this one Gillette is for when I don't Need to think about, or concentrate on the shave.

Pilotcld and Enrico like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

One way to reduce/eliminate rust is to make sure to put a very light coating of oil on the razor after you've cleaned the soap off, and before you put it away.

Pilotcld likes this.
  5. Pilotcld

Thanks!! I’m gonna have to get some more sterling soaps. I have never had a problem with any of them! Seems like an great company! Maybe I’m gonna have to move my razors all to my bedroom on the highest shelf in the closet

6. Pilotcld

@Bookworm I’ll have to try that on my razors. Is there a specific oil to use? The thing about the Gold Dollar razor is that it still had oil on it..
    @DaltonGang I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Fatboys! Do that just have a good amount of weight to them or just made well?

7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Interesting question... From a "convenience" standpoint, I'll go with the Schick 500 Injector or, maybe, the G8. As far as a "relaxing" razor, I would say the FatBoy though I've got a couple of Techs that are also in the running.

Hodge and Pilotcld like this.
  8. Pilotcld

You caught a mistake in my post without even thinking about it hahaha. My convenience is a Schick injector with Gillette blades. Not a Gillette injector! You probably weren’t even trying to catch that, but thanks!

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

If you had put your fingers on the razor, that displaces enough oil to allow rusting. That's why you wipe a gun down after you've handled it - it recoats the fingerprint areas. Some people might prefer one oil over another; I'd just suggest a light oil, no heavier than mineral oil. I think most people use mineral oil because it's as close to scentless as you can get, easy to find, and often already in the bathroom. Do NOT use WD-40. Even on other items (like hinges), if you use WD-40, you have to follow up with a good regular oil. WD-40 is 'Water Displacement' formula.

Alcohol can help some things - I don't know how it reacts with celluloid. If you use a 90% alcohol, it'll help dry out anything that gets soaked (by absorbing the water).

I know, TMI.

Keithmax and Pilotcld like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Schick G

wchnu, Keithmax and Pilotcld like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I vote move SR to a drier area.

Keithmax, Bookworm and Pilotcld like this.
  12. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I tried Cremo and found it was quite slick but provided a pretty irritating shave, tossed the remainder.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

For quick nothing beats a Schick. I have a E2 that fits the bill for that. For relaxing I am kinda torn. I want to say a Lather Catcher like my 1902 Kampfe/Star. Normally though I reach for my favorite Bakelite handle 1912 Gem. Love that razor from a WWII set.

And great to see you around...

Keithmax and Pilotcld like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Fast and convenient : Cobra Classic with a Feather Pro blade.

Relaxation: straight razor

Pilotcld likes this.
  15. Pilotcld

Oh cool! The CoBra Classic looks nice! I’ve never seen a razor like that before!

Keithmax likes this.
  16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I havent used goo since starting wet shaving several years ago.
    My relaxation razor has always been my Schick type F injector. Always efficient and an extremely safe razor.

Pilotcld likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They are made well, and have a good amount of weight in them.

Pilotcld likes this.