Goodfella Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Joe

Joe Member

So I decided to trade my new Bob's Razor Works razor for a Goodfella Razor. I read and was told that my razor is too agressive and the Goodfella is very mild and hard to get cut even if you try. Does anybody have or use this razor and what are your thoughts? Keep in mind, I already traded so not looking for advice to get it or not, just curious to see what other people out there think that use it.

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I had one and liked it. They are well built, mild shavers that should provide very comfortable shaves. Just have to find the right angle and all will be well.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Do I use one? Yes

Us it a mild razor? yes

Can you get a great shave with one? yes

Despite the popular belief, you can get excellent shaves from the less aggressive razors. In this case, I usually pair the mild razor with a sharper brand of blade. But it works and works well.

Mechguy and newb like this.
  4. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Dear Joe:

I am pleased for u and feel this will be an improvement. Focus on the great tips from the group and try to perform a technically correct shave. Don't worry about DFS and BBS, it will come if you build technique. I'm five weeks in and just started getting great shaves last week.

Plzz let us know how the shaves go.

crackstar and Dridecker like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I use a Goodfella on occasion and I find it gives me very good shaves, but because it's so mild, and I have a very hard beard, I find I have to put in a bigger effort than I need with my Super Speed which is also quite mild and forgiving. I agree that the angle is very important to get the proper results.

scott wein likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe Member

Can someone tell me what DFS and BBS are since I see that everywhere? :(

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. Joe

Joe Member

I thought that was what BBS was! Thanks!

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

I agree times 1000. I like an aggressive razor, but I've found it hard to seal the deal with only but a couple aggressive razors. My sensitive skin can only tolerate 2 passes from an aggressive razor. To get those hard to do areas BBS requires blade buffing, an aggressive razor and blade buffing don't agree with my skin. That's where the non aggressive razors shine. I find that if I finish the shave with a mild razor, by blade buffing, I'm able to get true BBS. Less aggressive razors can give excellent results with the proper technique.

10. Joe

Joe Member

What is blade buffing?

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Blade buffing is when you do a really short back and forth stroke. Just a quick back and forth, back and forth, leaving the razor on your skin, with no pressure, to get that stubborn patch of roughness.

Mantic demonstrates it in his "Advanced Shaving Techniques" video.

12. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Here it is.

13. newb

newb Resident Newb

I'm sure the Goodfella razor would qualify as a blade buffing machine from the reviews I have seen. Here's a few additional razors that I find killer blade buffers. Vintage Star D/E bakelite handle and bakelite comb, Gillette ball end tech (not the aluminum one),the new Wilkinson Sword classic (a master blade buffer, the best I've used so far) and for the most part the Rotbart Tech clone and my new Lord L6 (the most aggressive buffer I use, it requires more concentration than the others) all worthy blade buffers.

14. Joe

Joe Member

Thanks for the video. Got one razor in the mail today and the goodfella on the way. I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully won't be posting in the mach 3 forms a week from now! LOL

15. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Mantic. Italian, Sicilian, or Greek? He looks a lot like some of my Sicilian relatives, and also like one of my Greek friends.
    I have learned a lot from his videos. I need to start blade buffing because I have a spot on the right side of my neck that is really hard to get smooth.

16. newb

newb Resident Newb

Go with a gentle razor. At first I thought Bruce's Ideas on different razors for different stages of the shave were bogus. But as I gained experience I think he may have actually hit the nail on the head. I think that's why I'm so fond of adjustable's, they allow me to set the aggression for the stage of my shave.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

One thing to keep in mind, especially with blade buffing - NO PRESSURE.

Even the slightest pressure used with this technique can result in a nasty burn.

Dridecker likes this.
  18. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

He looks like that Mr. Big character from Sex and the City

19. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I did a bit of blade buffing today, with the Atra.
    I was doing great until my hand twitched. The sideways movement took off a thin layer of skin.
    I just LOVE bleeding before work.

GDCarrington and IAmTheJody like this.
  20. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

The fact that Jody liked my post must mean he's experienced the same unpleasant occurrence.
    That little hand twitch this morning is exactly why I'd never try blade buffing with my Micromatic, Neillite 400, E type Injector, or a straight. Just imagine that bloodbath.

I'm sure I'll end up with some nasty ingrowns as a result of my little snafu this morning.