Goodfella Safety Razors...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SlagleRock, Nov 24, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

But is it worth the extremely high price?

2. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I'll make you one like this for $70.
    [​IMG]

3. JayKay

Despite various AD's, I'd never spend 70 on a razor. Maybe on a pen.

4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

A little review here on the Goodfella razor. Got mine for Christmas thru Shaving Essentials at a good price and used it as my only razor for over a week. What do I think??

The razor is very high quality and very well made. The handle is a little slick but not enough to cause any trouble. It is agile, easy to use and manuver around the hard to get areas like under the nose. It gives me a close and comfortable shave. Not sure a person could ask for more than that.

5. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I got a got one of these, the chrome version.
    It's a very mild razor, to me anyways.
    Very elegant modern design, and easy to use, but it's too mild for me, but I tend to use slants or open comb razors.
    If you don't have a coarse thick beard, it would probably make very nice razor. Especially if you are susceptible to razor burn and irritation.

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I ordered one!

I'm impressed that someone takes up production of DE (and a 3-piece even)!

An old mechanical factory I used to work for shut down thier production (now they trade with stuff from China :rolleyes:) a few years back, if I had only known I could have bought a few of their presses for just cost to haul them...

7. blaireau

blaireau New Member

JayKay, the concept of "worth" to enthusiasts/collectors like us is very complicated. Is an Aristocrat that I have worth the $200.00 that I paid for it? Or are my Plisson Brushes "worth" the $300.00 to $650.00 that I paid for them. The Goodfella is a beautiful, very ergonomic and extremely well made razor and I'm glad that I bought one.

8. JayKay

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but that sounded pretty rude.

9. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

It's all good.

I never thought I would spend more than 50 dollars on a pen, needless to say, that didn't hold for too long. I don't think I have many pens that cost less than 50 dollars now. :D

10. Hi there you excitable boy,

You're correct...........you ARE in a bad mood. Are you referring to the post by Blaireau? Maybe I missed something but I thought he was being quite diplomatic without being condescending to you. I understood what he meant about the worth of something is a personal thing, and sometimes paying a premium price IS worth doing. Depends on how it makes you feel..............that's the bottom line. Oh, you also need a bit of cash to go with the desire/obsession.........heh.

Anyway Jay, I wouldn't take his post personally, as it was meant to inform more than anything else. Believe me, I have NO understanding (or deep desire to learn about) the real high end stuff. I just don't get it, but who cares. Hehe, I do like reading about the stuff though when it comes up on the forum posts.

Sigh, I've been looking at those damn razors.......reading the reviews, and liking what others have said about em. They seem to be a less aggressive open comb that most others, which intrigues the heck outta me. Superbleu especially kept saying how mild those were (taunting me), and John Crissman mentioned something similar as did others. Man........I do like that black finish on the head, and it's a nice design. The handle would be the thing keeping me from being pushed off the fence. I'd prefer something with a bit different feel to it. (Bob, if you're reading this, I know all about the solution to that handle problem, and would contact you if I ever buy one of these things...heh). The tool may be worth the price, even with the very tiny, almost invisible extra charge for a custom handle.

Ok, I'm done,
    Martin

11. JayKay

I just thought it sounded rather condescending. Its still an interesting thought but its the same car painted a different color. I'll take an HD over one any day.

12. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah, it can be easily taken as condescending, but I don't think it was intended that way. But step lightly. There may come a time when you have a very different view of spending $70 (or whatever) on a razor. :rolleyes: I have the new razor that takes Feather AC injector blades on MY list @ $125... :o

Martin, Open combs are not NECESSARILY more aggressive than bar guards. I have sensitive skin and fine hair. Aggressive razors can easily do a number on my face, but generally I prefer open combs. Of two otherwise IDENTICAL razors, an open comb is probably more aggressive, but small differences in angle and/or exposure can change that balance. If the blade angle and exposure are right, I find the open comb leaves some lather under the blade so it passes more smoothly and gently. Whereas a bar guard tends to take off more lather.

I also have the Goodfella on my list. Sounds interesting.

13. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

There may be a chrome one coming up for sale in the near future, maybe the next week or 2 when I get back.

14. Hi tj, and thanks for the information,

I recently finished using my first two open combs.......shaved with each multiple times. One was a 'New' and the other was the 1934 type Aristocrat, and I actually spent a fair bit of time using the last one. Tried 3 different blades over about 8-10 shaves or so, just to get a true feeling for how the thing shaved me. I found both razors to be more aggressive than suited my face, and I believe Superbleu has adopted the 'New'.....heh. I'm used to setting my fatboy on #3, and these felt like a 2-3 click higher number.

The thing is, I loved how damn close both of em shaved me. I found that more than once, I'd be saying to myself how smooth these leave my face. I also noticed the whiskers took much longer to return. Those are two pretty nice features. Problem is, they just weren't quite as comfortable to use, even after tweaking the aristocrat with a feather. That was the best of the blades I tried in it, but still not quite comfortable enough. In addition, I really had to go slow and pay a lot more attention than I prefer, in order to keep from doing some damage.

I found the fatboy to give me the best of both worlds..........a very close shave, and incredible comfort. I've been screwing around with this 'hobby' long enough to have all the tools down pat, from prep to lather, etc. I've used maybe 15 or so different type razors, and the combination of the fatboy's weight,balance, handle knurling, and head design is magical for me. As you probably know, the head on that model is totally unlike any superspeeds, slims or super adjustable made by Gillette, and looks to be different than a Merkur head as well. The fatboy head profile is quite a bit more rounded than those mentioned.

The thing is, it won't shave me quite as smooth as those open combs did....even if I stick a feather in it. In the past, I've dialed it to 5 or 6.......hoping for a close yet still comfortable shave. Well, the comfort level suffers a fair bit, and the shaves, although better, aren't worth the total experience. I believe the much more rounded design keeps the blade angle from changing too radically...sort of a built in safety feature. Hehe, turns out it may be a blessing and a curse.

Both open combs had a much less rounded head, which I think helped a good bit. Maybe the head naturally angles the blade at a more aggressive angle than the fatboy? Could it be the relatively flat profile may add to the way the razor sorta addresses the whiskers? Whatever it is, I sure like it.

So, when I saw something about a new open comb that's milder than most, it sorta caught my attention. I can't get those previous amazingly close shaves outta my head.......heh. I've been thinking that if I could find a razor that was as comfortable as a fatboy, but worked as effectively as an open comb.....yeah, you get the idea.

I apologize for the verbose (long winded) post, and I'm gonna probably have to get one of these things at some point.......sigh.

Martin

15. riffin

riffin Active Member

My razor of choice is a Progress which has closed comb with angled teeth. I'm not sure if the angles make a differnce. The adjustability and non-flat guard are perfect for me.

I've tried a bunch a razors in my collection, but I've working my way through a large blade sampler and need to keep the razor constant. I plan to get back to the razors when I get through with the blades.

16. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I just posted a review on the Goodfella >here<

17. JayKay

I'm glad your review reinforced what I've thought all along.

18. magic

magic New Member

Good honest review. If this helps anyone I saw the chrome one at West Coast Shaving for $50 + shipping.

19. Hi there Johan,

Thanks for posting your views on that razor. It helped me understand better about what to expect if I bought one.

I appreciate you taking the time,
    Martin

20. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Someone has been attempting to spam the safety razor Wikipedia article to try to sell this razor. Take from that what you will.