Got a really close shave, however....

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by venom0706, Apr 1, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

So I have Edwin Jagger DE89bl, TOBS cream and a brand new Edwin Jagger badger brush (which I used today for the first time). I got a really nice shave, however, after the shave, hairs from my brush protruded in various directions. Is this normal for a brand new brush, which hasn't been used? Did I mess it up and have to buy a new one? Also, it felt really hard and rough on my face. What am I doing wrong? Before the shave I put the brush in a mug of hot water for about 2-3 minutes. Did I have to do it longer time? I hope that you can help me. Thank you very much.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong...I always soak my brush prior to shaving while I shower(15 min or so)....While I use a #6 horse(?) hair brush from bestshave and so have only a little experience with badger, I think your brush will soften over time....Sometimes like a safety razor or blade you just need to try a few brushes(badger,boar, horse and synthetic) to see which one you like better...I've used my #6 daily for over two years and for $5 shipped feel it was a good purchase and so recommend it.....:)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All sounds good.
    When you say the hairs went out in all directions, that sounds like what we call "bloom", which is natural to badger and boar brushes, unless the hairs were literally falling out.

4. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Thanks, but the lather doesn't seem to apply well with it (as well as with my prevous brush). I have to re-apply several times on my face in order to get a good amount of lathering on it. What is the reason for this? Do I have to put more cream in the mug?

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What was your previous brush? You could need to use more cream with the EJ brush or perhaps take a little more time making your lather...I'd check out reviews of the brush and see if anyone else talks about having the same problem...:)