Got a slant!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tiggercat, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Tiggercat

Tiggercat New Member

Finally picked up a Merkur Slant HD from Bullgoose (awesome purchase experience), along with my first tub of RazoRock XXX. I know I probably should have used a cream or soap I am familiar with for my first go with the slant, but I just had to try the XXX. I popped in an IP (didn't want to risk a Feather off the bat) and went WTG-XTG with the slant, followed by ATG and buffing with a Gem G-Bar.

It was outstanding!

The XXX made a perfect lather with very little effort, and the slant was gentle as could be. I used the Gem because I'm not so sure about ATG with a slant yet, but I definitely can't wait to try it with a Feather. For anyone sitting on the fence about a slant, try it! Worst case, you can sell it in a heartbeat to someone else. Best case, you'll have a new go-to razor, like me. (For the record, I normally use a Gillette Red Tip with an IP or Feather.)

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice. I was enamored with my slant at first, but it fell from favor when I got hooked on open combs. I always thought slants worked well. I didn't find them any more aggressive then the HD and don't think they deserve the dangerous reputation. Enjoy the razor.

3. MÜHLE-Man

MÜHLE-Man Member

nice pickup. I just wish EJ or Muhle would make one as well.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

congrats on the purchase. Like Dale said, they aren't as bad as their reputation.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! :happy088:happy088

Wish I still had my slant.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I really like my slant but I have to admit that the 89 head is a DFS. Makes me rethink my slant as my go to.

7. Old Man Army

Old Man Army Member

As my collection grows, I still return to my slant. It's fun to change things up, but when I want a really close shave, I usually reach for my Hoffritz.

8. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

A slant or some other more aggressive razor will definitely be finding its way onto my Christmas list. That should give me plenty of time to figure out what I want to try. A slant & an SE seem to be staying at the top of my list. Glad to hear what everyone thinks of slants.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Enjoy! I've never been able to enjoy a shave from a Slant, just doesn't suit my face.

10. Tuco

Tuco Member

Congrats! Slants are awesome razors.

11. hockeyguy

hockeyguy New Member

Slant Bar

I too just bought a slant bar . I have the Merkur 37G. It has become my favorite razor in my small collection. I enjoy the close bbs shaves with only 2 passes. I take 3 passes with the other razors. No razor burn, just seems to be a perfect shave. Enjoy !:eatdrink023

12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

MMm sounds like a another razor purchase coming up. I would like to give the slant a try.

13. esteband

esteband New Member

I too am interested in slants. What a cool design concept.

I sort of stumbled upon a refinement of my technique with a regular DE, which I think might be giving me the same effect as a slant, but I'm not sure. In any case, it seems to cut smooth on only 1 or 2 passes. Instead of holding the blade perpendicular to the direction of travel, I offset the angle by about 10 or 15 degrees. That's it. But dang, it sure seems to work well.

I'd still like to try a slant, though. And this is one of the first forum posts I've seen where the majority of respondents say they're no big deal. Most posts I've read make it sound like you have to have nerves of steel to use one, or else you're hamburger.

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I just sent payment off for a Merkur 39c slant. Hopefully I'll receive it by the end of the week next week. I can't wait to give it a try!

15. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

I love my 39C. But they don't call it "The Sledgehammer" for nothing!

16. Tiggercat

Tiggercat New Member

Follow up: Still using the slant. Yeah, that doesn't really cover it. Went back and tried my other razors following the slant, and I'm just getting disappointing shaves. As a result, I just sold everything but an Aristocrat and a G-Bar, and I have a BRW Bullmastiff Deluxe/NEW Long Comb on order. The slant certainly helped cut down on RAD! And so far the Feathers are by far the best blade, with Voskhods being an acceptable alternative.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  17. Godan

Godan Member

My vintage Hoffritz slant, with a Feather blade, shaves my heavy beard so well that I bought another one to send to BRW. I'll ask Bob to make handle of a size and weight similar to that of my favorite Feather All Stainless. I agree with those who say that the dangerous reputation of slants is overdone. Even so, one does want to keep his attention on the task at hand.

18. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I hear you, the 39C is my favorite razor now, I mainly use it, a Parker 96R and very rarely now do I pick up anything else.

I really wish Parker's were put together better, they're awesome razors, except the plating and QC.:happy102:

19. Merkur Malloy

Merkur Malloy Member

the slant kicks ass

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

I wasn't sure at first when I was reading about the slants, but once I tried it... I am really happy I got mine.