got a slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by casper, Dec 26, 2013.

1. casper

casper Member

to wanted to let people know, to watch out for some people selling razors on the bay. i bought a slim recently, for alot, over one hundred dollars. the pictures of it were awesome, looked extremly mint, and shiny. he said it looks as if it were only used a few times and stored away for all these years, but when it arrived, it was just a plain user grade slim. scratches, nicks, and alittle exposed brass. i was pretty upset. so, just because the pictures show the reflection on the silo doors, does not mean the razor is perfect in any way.

2. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Thanks for the heads up. Are you going to contact the seller? It sounds like you have a good case.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Oh man! Not good. I bought a razor off of the bay where the pic was not what was received. And I've boughten some that were great.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Looks can be deceiving. Casper, ebay is notorious for this type of situation, and I read of similar experiences to yours from other buyers.
    I would certainly contact the seller and explain your concerns and hopefully, you'll get satisfaction from the seller.
    There is a huge difference between 'user-grade' and 'collector' or 'mint' but unfortunately some sellers are more concerned with generating interest than being truthful.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. casper

casper Member

i contacted the seller, and then somehow he got my personal info, and he called me on my cell phone. he was actually mad that i had complained about the razor. he said its only been used a few times, and i said not its not, the knurling on the handle is really worn down from it being handled and used for the past 10 decades. i told him about the exposed brass, the nicks, the scratches, and that it would have been fine it i had paid only 45-55 bucks, but for the amount i paid i was expecting a razor that "had only been used a few times". we talked for a bit, and he never refunded any money or anything. its a decent slim, both silo doors open at the same time, and the blade gap is even, but i still feel i got taken to the cleaners on that one.

6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you were deceived. Good thing if an item is not as described you can still return it even if the seller specified no returns. Just open a case.

I only trust two sellers on there. When i get a razor I am surprised they actually look better in person than in the pictures. I even wondered once if it was the same razor. It was. Must be some kind of brightness/contrast trick that highlights the flaws.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

Makes me nervous about bidding on things from the bay!!

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry to hear.

Just another story to justify my reasons for not utilizing ebay. Never have, doubt I ever will.
    Sure, I've heard of folks getting a steal now and then, but I'm not willing to take the risk.

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If the seller won't budge, your really only other options are to contact ebay direct ad complain (don't expect much, unfortunately), or simply leave honest feedback of your experiences with the transaction. The seller will probably counter with HIS feedback, claiming his was in the right, you knew what you were bidding on, he was honest, etc, etc.
    Sorry you had this experience.

Re: Slim— for $100, I would expect a mint Slim razor in a case. Mint, no case, in the $40-60 range. User grade: $25-35. Now that's based upon my own Slim buying experiences off ebay, and perhaps ebay's pricing gets a bit more volatile around Christmas & year's end.

'Minty' Slim, no case...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. casper

casper Member

i would say, there are alot on there that are worth the buy. i dont want to mention any names, but the guy i got mine from, is just making out like a bandit. he has gorgeous pictures of his razors, and it really entices people to bid, but the thing is, the razors are the same quality as all the other ones on there.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I dunno, Steve. There can be some GREAT deals!
    In fact, if you need a new straight, here's an ebay auction for an SR in '...excellent condition, blade has some minor nicks….' :eek: ;)
    [​IMG]

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And there ya go! :happy088: :happy097:

13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've never bought anything off of Ebay either. Too much shady nonsense at that place imo.

14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I guess I've been lucky on eBay. I don't usually go for the premium priced stuff though. I'm a shaver, not a collector and I go for user-grade stuff at user-grade prices so I'm usually not disappointed. :)

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I cannot understand why you cant whip somebodys tail but its legal to lie , mislead and basically steal.

Sontag likes this.
  16. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

blahh sorry to here about this man. That's horrible, I ordered my father a mizzou tiger blanket for Christmas and I received a Memphis tiger blanket. haha we had a good laugh but the vendor still wont contact me back since last Saturday and after reading his reviews for this Christmas I think im stuck with it.

17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Sorry about the deception.

I have been lucky on the bay so far. I bought my Slim off of there and was throughly pleased. I know that doesn't always happen and I'm sorry it happened to you.

I usually browse the BST on here and other places because I trust the forum members more.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

You're not stuck with it.Ebay almost always sides with the buyer. Just go to case resolution and open a case against them. Ebay will force them to respond. You have 45 days to do so i think.

Daytonkb and Ryan B like this.
  19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

+1. Nobody should have to be stuck with something they didn't want.

Daytonkb likes this.
  20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Definitely agreed. I think if you paid through PayPal, they'll refund your money to you. Not sure all the specifics though. I'd imagine you'll need to be able to prove you shipped the item back to the seller.