Got some ARKO now what?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Redfisher, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I haven't used a shave stick before. How do you use this stuff?

TobyC, 9nein9, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Wet your face and/or the end of the stick; rub it on your face like you would stick deodorant for your pits; then use a wet brush to whip/scrub up a lather on your face. Arko whips up pretty good.

I have also taken a chip off of the end and stuck to the bottom of my shave bowl and whipped up the lather there.

Enjoy your Arko.

9nein9, Flyingbald, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Love shave sticks. Here is a shave with a boots shave stick.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It seems like every time I see one of your videos, it involves that cup :)
    You can get the same blades from Dollar General.

I can't shave with a t-shirt like that - you can't get the soap down far enough. (Scots ancestry)

9nein9 likes this.
  5. Redfisher

Fun video!

9nein9 likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Seriously now, I puck lather Arko. I have a large plastic bowl with lid, much like loose powder would have been put in many years ago. ARKO is pressed into the bottom. I use a damp brush, beat the heck out of the soap, and then spread on a wet face (I'm more of a painter than a stirrer). Usually there's enough lather left for a second good pass, plus some to wash my face with once I'm done.

Others bowl lather, either by loading the brush off of the soap first, then going for the bowl, or putting a chunk in the bowl.

AGHisBBS, 9nein9 and RyX like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Arko is a great performing soap, and face lathering with a shave stick is the way to go. Enjoy!

9nein9 and Redfisher like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I wet my face and then rub the dry stick on my face against the grain. Once your face is covered in some soap then use a damp brush and go to town and add water as necessary . I prefer to do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and 9nein9 like this.
  9. Redfisher

Just finished my first shave with it and I'd have to say not too bad. A little dry at first but yeah added some water and got some decent lather. I like it. Probably get better with a little practice but it works pretty well.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Arko is some great stuff!!! I smash mine is a storage bowl and bowl lather with it. Then using very little soap or effort I can make enough lather for a pre-lather and 3 passes(WTG ,ATG, XTG) & touchup. :happy088:

TobyC and 9nein9 like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks. Shave sticks are fun. Great for travel. I even made out with a chapstick tube.

9nein9 likes this.
  12. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I tear off chunks with my fingers and mash it into my shaving bowl and use it like a puck.

9nein9 likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    When I got my Arko, I smashed it into a wooden bowl and would load my brush and then face lather.
    arko2.jpg
    Later, I took the Arko and pressed it into an empty deodorant container. Now, I just smear it on my face and face lather. It saves the step of loading the brush.
    arko3s.jpg

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

1.Wet your face
    2. Wet the shave stick
    3. Rub the shave stick on your face- get a thin coat of soap all over
    4. Wet brush
    5. Rub brush everywhere you put soap
    6. Smooth lather out with paint brush stokes
    7. Shave

RyX, 9nein9, M14Shooter and 1 other person like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup!!
    Ok you two. Why buy a stick at all? ARKO has a soap bowl. Never used it but I hear it's good.

Not being snarky this time. Just seeing the why...

RyX, 9nein9 and wristwatchb like this.
  16. Bookworm

Because the bowl costs 8x as much as the stick, for the same soap. I saw no reason to pay $7 for a 90 gram bowl, when I paid $11 for 10, 70 gram sticks.

RyX, AGHisBBS, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

My reasons for buying the stick over the bowl are:
    1) the bowl is more expensive that the stick and I don't need a "new" plastic bowl everytime I get a new stick/puck of soap, that just leads to more crap in the land fill.
    2)trying to get the ridiculously tight fitting, slippery bowl lid off especially with damp/wet hands leads to anger and bowl destruction. :angry019: So I've started buying empty reuseable storage containers from Maggards( I like the Trumpers) to replace the Ziploc small storage containers I've been using and putting the Ziplock's back to work in the kitchen.:)

RyX, TobyC and 9nein9 like this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

:signs011:

AGHisBBS, TobyC and 9nein9 like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Bowl destruction...that means hammer time around here lol. Thanks for the reply.

RyX likes this.
  20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

BINGO!!!