Got some single edge questions...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by omegapd, Feb 25, 2009.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

that one says junior on the razor and inside the lid... very nice I would pay 35 for a nice one.
    Fuzzy

2. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

thanx guys - if it is there next time I get out that way I will pick it up

3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Dave and all, another quick thank you for all the replies. Just got another Gem off of Ebay but this is it- I swear! :rolleyes: Since I couldn't find a long handled one except for a couple of beat to hell Christys, I'm trying my luck with one of the large baton handle types...maybe that'll be more comfortable. Pics when it gets here. Looked almost new in the Ebay pics.

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

stay away from the christys unless you want them for collecting purposes. they take a whole other kind of blade: the bunny eared kind.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Bwahahah! Welcome to the RAD club! Good job guys, hooked another one! :D :happy102

Silly Dave, you can't shave with bunny ears! They're too soft and will tickle under your chin! :rolleyes:

Eric, I really enjoy my 1912 Gem - it has the travel sized handle. Some day I'll get one with the standard handle, I'd like to try that out and also a lather catcher. I think you'll enjoy the ones you have pictured. If not, give me a call...;) :happy102

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Be patient with the shorter handles. I had problems with my first DEs when I switched back to them from my Fusion. Had to get used to the shorter handle. Of course I do not have "big" hands. I seem to have a bit more control with the shorter handled razors and I do not do as mantic suggest, I do hold the razor up the handle a bit rather than with a couple fingers at the end of the handle.

The '07 GEM pictured above has a really short wooden handle and is still one of my favorite razors. The short handle does not seem to have any effect on its shaving abilities. Yet I enjoy my '11 Elite GEM Jr with a much longer than normal handle (length somewhat like the Fusion) a lot. But still the shorter handles are not as bad as some make them out to be.

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

they turn any razor into an instant tech :happy001

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ummm no making fun of the Bunny.:D

Fuzzy

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

fine. techs and feathers.

:happy102

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:D

Fuzzy

11. omegapd

omegapd New Member

That's good to know. Thanks. The two I saw on Ebay had crummy pics and you couldn't tell what blade it took. The amount of rust, etc. on the handle was the main reason I didn't snatch them up. :D

12. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I'm sure it's just going to take some time and getting used to it. I'm just not there yet. So, in the pics I have posted in this thread- is that the normal sized handle or a travel handle?

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

you should try shaving with this:

[​IMG]

14. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

That would be tricky! Not to mention the increased risk of Repetitive Stropping Disorder Syndrome (RSDS) in your thumb!!

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

stropping that thing was a pain in the ass.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I bet it was..got thumb cramps huh?

Fuzzy

17. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

it kept turning in my fingers. i was waiting to slice one off.

18. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Okay, to follow up a little bit. I had to run to Lowes today to get some Plumber's Putty to fix a sink and decided to try 2 S/E blades just to see what would happen. There is a slight difference in size between shaving blades and "utility" blades- these are a tiny bit shorter. One brand, Task Force ($1.90 for 10) seems to be okay. It shaves arm hairs really well. I'll give it a shot in the morning. The other brand, Kobalt, wiggles in the Gem and won't line up right to even cut arm hairs...it's the same size as the Task Force, though, so I don't know what the problem is.

Luckily, I'm not very prone to bad blades. I use the cheap Dorco's in my D/E and love them so if I'm lucky, my face will be able to handle these blades too.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My guess is you will regret that one... good luck with it though.

Fuzzy

20. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I've got to go with Cal on that. I'd strongly advise against it. Utility blades are not honed nearly enough to get close to shaving acceptability. And even the cheapest, crappiest shaving blade is still a shaving blade.