Got the guts up to try this.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fiatster, Mar 2, 2017.

1. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

1902 Kampfe Bros STAR Wedge Blade Safety Razor 11.jpg 1902 Kampfe Bros STAR Wedge Blade Safety Razor 2.jpg 1902 Kampfe Bros STAR Wedge Blade Safety Razor.jpg I have had this guy for a few months, but have been hesitant (chicken) to try it. It did arrive with a steel blade, but not in the best shape. I think it can be honed back to life, but there is a tiny chip out of the corner and that makes it a bit tricky to secure in the razor. In any case, I did clean the razor up some and decided to put in a SE blade. I had to slightly bend one of the blade stops over a little so the SE would stay put. The razor itself is really cool although it is definitely showing its age.
    I lathered up and did a 3 pass shave. It was an extremely close shave. It was a little irritating and a bit of blood, but nothing compared to when I occasionally use a SR to relieve myself of a few layers of skin. It was fun and I think I'll try working on the original blade and give it a try.

Attached Files:

AGHisBBS, ob1page, RyX and 13 others like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Congrats! Wasn't all that bad now was it? I always find myself feeling a bit silly after I try a razor I was afraid of. Straights, Rolls, slants, 2011 R41, Micromatic.....haven't lost my head to one yet.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good for you! Keep at it it'll get better.

Billyfergie and fiatster like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

That is one cool looking vintage razor! And no, I probably would pass on shaving with it. Nice pickup.

5. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I love thsee old 'lather catchers '

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I nice to see that your starting to reach shaving puberty

Billyfergie, bdalemauger and fiatster like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a very cool razor. I have wanted one like it for a long time. I would definitely shave with it if I had one.

Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm glad to see you using it. I keep watching for an old Kampfe with the wedge blades as I would love to have one in the rotation. Keep at it and let us know how you progress with it.

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Kampfe Lather Catcher is a Fairly Mild Shaver with the Original Hollow Ground Blade..They are a Lot More Aggressive with a Current Gem SE Blade..They are a Very Different Shaver with a Properly Honed Hollow Ground Blade..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Jim99 and Taipan like this.
  10. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

I'm sure you're right Billy. My problem with using the original blade is a small chip on the bottom end. Here is what it looks like. Any suggestions? blade2.jpg blade1.jpg

Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] To Be Honest I Wouldn't Bother with a Blade in that Kinda Nick..It Has a Fair Bit of Hone Wear & it Would Take a Lot of Metal Removal to Get that Damage Honed Out..Its Scrap Really..;)

These Blades are Hard to find in the USA/UK but French EBay is Often Awash with them with Old Cheap SE Sets that Use these Same Blades..Once You Get a Decent One it Will Need Honed like these Ones I Worked on Above..:)

DaltonGang and Jim99 like this.
  12. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Thanks for the tip Billy. I'll try to track one down.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Billy, what wording would I use to search for a blade like this? I don't seem to be having much luck.

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. Billyfergie

You will Need to Look through the Vintage Razor Listing Rasoir Ancien Mecanique in France & Look for Old Cheap Lather Catcher Sets that Use the Same Blades..You have to be Vigilant Just Keep Looking Regular..:happy088:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    battle.munky and Jim99 like this.