Gotta little cocky with the slant Bar!!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by grottolord, Jan 22, 2009.

1. grottolord

grottolord New Member

My new 39c came in yesterday, so today i threw a new astra platinum in her and gave her a try, after using a Feather in a red tip the other day my confidence was high,
    well i should have took it slow,
    though i did not get cut i did have three weepers on my neck in the middle right and one on my chin and another on my left upper lip,
    should have used no pressure and learned the razor before letting loose like a school boy!!!!!!!!
    Try her again tomorrow, with the same blade if results arnt better, im going to a Sweed,
    I need some claification on the bar,
    1. what is the idea of the slant
    2. how do you properly use the slant
    there must be a technique to using either end of the Bar,
    in need of feedback
    well boys let'r Rip
    Grottolord

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

With the slant you really don't have to do anything special except to ensure you use absolutely no pressure. Another thing to remember is to not slide the razor or use the gillette slide. Keep the strokes straight from point a to point b.

The 39c can be tricky because it has a lot more weight than the regular merkur slant. Any pressure at all and weepers will occur. I ended up selling my 39c because I just couldn't get used to it and liked my regular slant so much more.

Good luck!

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Slant smant...... Gems Rule.

Fuzzy

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

The slant is designed to cut the whiskers with a "scything action" vs. the cutting action of a straight bar. Think of cutting a carrot. It is more difficult to chop straight down than to move the knife in a slicing motion as you apply downward pressure. This is a rough explanation as to how a slant works.

As for technique, shave the same as you would with any DE -- the slant will do the work for you.

5. sas71

sas71 Member

i got cut just reading this:D

6. grottolord

grottolord New Member

slant/sweed

[​IMG][​IMG]Well today i gave the slant its second ride,
    started out with the same Astra,
    after two or three strokes i changed the blade out due to pulling, maybe it was a bad blade,
    so i thru in a fresh Sweed, and yea Baby, I was a shaven,
    very nice BBS shave, and no pulling at the wiskers at all,
    Man you can feel the blade on your face with a 39c compared to other DE's
    similar to a Str8, and Go Slow just like a straight to really enjoy the shave,
    ive used Wilkes,walgreens,yellows, feathers, astra's 301's, and my fave so far,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SWEEDS!!!!!!!!!!
    im going to stick with the BP slant for a week or two then go to the Merkur BP straight head, and compare, ill keep you posted
    My face is BBS, now if it just didn't look like an ASS!!!!!!!!
    Grottolord

7. grottolord

grottolord New Member

8. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I don't know how you posted a message that short.

Anyway, I cut my upper lip today. It took probably 5 minutes for the red to disappear, I guess I slanted my straight a bit too much. I still like being able to clearly see the edge without the safety bar though :eek: