Grand Shave King

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

It is called the Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor. I just had my first shave with this razor. It has to be the mildest and easiest shaver I have tried so far. The auditory feedback is amazingly loud it sounds close to a straight shave. The handle has to be aluminum and the head is most likely an alloy of some kind because this razor is very light. The self lubricating actually works it glides very smoothly.

I was able to go ATG in places I could only do with a Schick Hydro. The shave was with a brand new Feather after a 3 pass plus crazy amount of touch up ZERO irritation.

Grand Razor.jpg

I am guessing the self lubricating feature is the slots in the cap trap some lather and water as you shave.

Has anyone else had a shave with one?

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I've never seen one before, great looking razor.

3. Weeper Warrior

That is the only one I have seen as well. Luckily on the cap it has written"Self Lubricating". I did a search for self lubricating razor to find out the name but have no more info than that.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There's a couple of threads here in the forum on them. I wanted one, but apparently they have a tendency to become warped if the handle is tightened too much, so I quit looking. If I remember correctly, they were made for about two years. The first year of production the slots were longer and closer together and about midway through the second year of production the head was redesigned, with the slots becoming shorter and more widely spaced. Unfortunately the change came to late to restore the company's tarnished reputation, and Shave King folded soon after. The razor pictured above is the rarer redesigned one, and the first of the second generation Shave King razors I've seen.

5. Weeper Warrior

WOW.....Just wow!

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    alpla444 likes this.
  7. Weeper Warrior

Billyfergie and alpla444 like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you feel that badly about it, I'll give you $20 for it. ;)

jmaier likes this.
  9. Weeper Warrior

Well.........Not that badly really.

10. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I know that it´s not exactly correct in this thread, but i think there will be a new thread if more people buy this one:

http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/products/the-phoenix-dbl-oc-safety-razor

I bought mine 2 days ago...very curious on this one. But nevertheless i´m looking for the old razor. For not too much money. So...if somenone of you would like to sell the old one...message to me...;)

Greetings
    Thorsten

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I saw that too, but I'm waiting on you guys to be the guinea pigs and let the rest of us know if they're worth it.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I ordered one of the Phoenix razors as well. It just looked so....well....pretty and was really calling to me. I have no will power.

UPDATE!: The razor arrived today and was promptly taken by my bride who said it will be under the tree Christmas morning. Will report back on 26 Dec as to how it shaves.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I began using my "Grand King Self Lubricating" safety razor about a week ago. I've had the razor for several years now, I think I paid $10 for it, but it does have a missing tooth. It has an aluminum handle and I only bought it originally because it looked different and I was in a state of RAD :happy097:.
    Anyway the good news is, after using it this week, I LOVE it, the bad news is the missing tooth REALLY bothers me! The REALLY BAD news is apparently they are rather rare and so are HARD to find and very expensive when found. The last one I found on ebay apparently went for $360 :angry019: There is one being auctioned on ebay now with a starting bid of $89.99 plus shipping. There are no other bids as of now with 12 hours left. This maybe a good price for collectors, but I'm a user and its WAY over what I'm willing to pay.
    Now the good news is apparently "Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements" phew what a mouthful that is:( is selling a modern version of the Shave King. The razors are called the Phoenix DOC(double open comb) safety razor and are selling for only $34.95 plus shipping. My RAD is starting to kick up big time!!! :happy108: So if any of you guys have used one of the Phoenix razors I like to hear your thoughts on the razor. Thanks:happy088:

UPDATE: the Grand Shave King razor on ebay didn't sell for $98 and is back up for auction. The starting bid this time is $69.99. There is also another auction going on with six Shave Kings w/boxes trying to sell them for $200 a piece.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Norcalnewb and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have great love for my shave king! I actually had two at one point in time but traded my second to another member a long time ago.

15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I have one, I used a couple of times and thought it too mild. It seemed like I had trouble finding the edge and just couldn't get a close shave. Someone suggested that I shim it but to me if I have to shim a razor to get get it to work then I won't use it. That was a while ago and I have developed a solid technique since. I think I'll give another go.

16. 178-bplatoon

I would agree since your technique has evolved you should definitely give the "Shave King Self Lubricating" safety razor another try. If for no other reason than they are hard to find and so shaving with one, good or bad, would be a unique experience few other shavers have had.
    If it still doesn't suit you, please feel free to send it my way:) I'll be more than happy to pay for the shipping so you can unload it and make more room in your den.:happy097:

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Its great to see these Rare Old Pieces of Shaving Iron still being used and appreciated...:chores016:
    Billy

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I have the Phoenix Dbl OC. I love it. It is one of my favorite DE razors, probably right behind my Fatboy. I can just shave with that razor while on cruise control and get a DFS just about automatically. They are mild, but I find them to be efficient and comfortable. I recommend to anyone looking for something different.

19. 178-bplatoon

Thanks for the info @Norcalnewb! I'm glad to hear your really liking the Phoenix.:happy088:

Bill_F and Norcalnewb like this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

I just want you to know your an ENABLER @Norcalnewb!!!! I just placed an order for a Phoenix DOC. :happy097:
    If Phoenix quit selling them and I missed out I'd be really Really, REALLY, upset!!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Bill_F, Billyfergie and Norcalnewb like this.