Grocery store blades - who are they really?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DarkAudit, Jan 26, 2009.

1. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I've scouted out the local drug and grocery stores, and the ones that actually carry DE blades all seem to be carrying the same type. I think. It's hard to tell, and the store employees aren't much help.

Every package is similar to the Wal-Mart Personnas, like this:

[​IMG]

The Wal-Mart blades identify their origin. Not so for the the others. They're all using that generic dispenser. No markings to identify who they are. The rest of the package isn't any better. Just the store logo on the front, and a "Distributed by:" and the store name and address on the back. Not a word to identify who actually made the blades or where.

The only difference is price. The Personnas from Wal-Mart are ~$1.75 a pack. The drug and grocery store brands are typically ~$5.

Who is Brand X?

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Generally, they are produced by the American Saftey Razor Company. Usually they are all the same. Some stock gillette blades, but they have regular gillette packaging. Some people like them.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I like them and I'd rather pay the $5

4. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I saw tat at my local Rite Aid. They had the store brand in that generic dispenser, and the Russian made Gillettes with the red packaging.

5. Batmang

Batmang New Member

I started my DE shaving with these "generic" blades and found a world of difference when I finally got a sampler of blades and started using the 7 O'clock yellows. No reason for me to use them again. Just my opinion...

Nathan

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have recently been given a sampling of more expensive blades. I get just as good of shaves from the wal mart/supermarket blades. and cost a lot less. Now I must also say that I rarely use a DE razor I am a Gemlician after all.

Fuzzy