Grooming Dept Soap. Crazy good post-shave feel... But How?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Str8on2, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Received my 2 tubs of soap today (actually yesterday evening) from Grooming Dept., After The Fire & Voyage. Liked the scents on both with good scent strength on the 2 of them. Not overpowering, but good and substantial.
    Decided to try out After The Fire as I prefer Tallow based soaps. Scent is just like if your in the woods, early morning shave next to the campfire with a nice smokiness to it but mixed with a like fern, earthy and wood scent. It's unique, but very nice. Wet my synthetic brush and gave it a good squeeze and 2 shakes and started loading it for about 10-15 seconds. This soap is thirsty. I was surprised on how much water it took on, perhaps thirstier than my next water loving soaps, B&M and Shannon's. That extra water proved to be the ticket though. Just a very slick, creamy and dense lather. An equal, if not better than the 2 soaps I mentioned plus a couple of others that I consider to be Tier 1 in my shave den. Performed just as good as those with excellent protection, glide and crazy good slickness, especially residual. But I get that from a few of those Tier 1 soaps that I mentioned. So, what gives? I finished my shave with a 1st test shave with the Occams Razor & the formidable Feather Pro Super blade. No harsh feeling, no irritation and my face feels like I didn't shave. Post-shave is just outstanding. It's another level that I haven't quite felt before, not accustomed too. My face was soft, supple and somehow felt moisturized. I hadn't even used any of my witch hazels and aftershave yet. I used them of course because I like too, but I honestly believe I didn't have too. Just a superb finish and feeling. I believe this to be the best post-shave result I've ever experienced, on the first try. That's impressive........

IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1948.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG

A first try definitely can't tell you the whole story on how something performs. And especially with soaps, as I believe the true benefits show themselves in the long run after prolonged usage. But I am truly shocked and amazed that a soap can actually provide a post-shave feel that is amazingly good on it's first run. I won't say it blows everyone else away in this aspect, but it gave me a result that was different and unexpected. More trials on the horizon. Personally, this soap is a serious contender for Numero Uno in my shave den. The real deal here, and yes Crazy good.....

2. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

Totally agree with you review. Grooming Dept. Soaps are one of the best out there.

3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree, Grooming Dept soaps are on a whole other level. Lather can hold a boatload of water and has exceptional post shave qualities (sane goes for WK, Turtleship, L&L) but Grooming Dept is something different in a positive way.

Paul Turner, sdguero and Str8on2 like this.
  4. Str8on2

This stuff is on another level. The lather, cushion, glide and slickness is so freaking good. But the post-shave feel is just through the roof. 3 days in using this stuff and my face just keeps getting an amazing feel that gets better and better.
    IMG_2004.JPG

Tiredricefarmer and sdguero like this.
  5. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great review, i am actually waiting on my Grooming Dept soap to arrive .. this will be my first time trying it. Have heard so many good things that i had to order.
    I also went for the beef/duck tallow After The Fire .. the scent description sounds amazing and i love camping and the outdoors so i'm thinking i will love this.
    ... Nice they offer free shipping to!

Paul Turner, brit and Str8on2 like this.
  6. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I have no idea but I figure it cannot hurt to speculate. For myself, the more complex the ingredient list, the more I find the attributes of the soap improve. Granted, this is a bit too simple a statement but hear me out.
    Here is the ingredient list from GD soap: After the Fire:

Stearic Acid, Water, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Beef Tallow, Castor Oil, Duck Fat, Kokum Butter, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein, Goat Milk, Shea Butter, Sucrose Cocoate, Safflower Oil, Cupuacu Butter, Jojoba Oil, Babassu Oil, Abyssinian Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Kaolin Clay, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, Allantoin, Chamomile Extract, Sea Buckthorn Extract.

I suspect that all those oils and butters either are added after saponification is done or in sufficient amounts to survive to some extent. Jojoba, castor, Babassu, Abyssinian, and grapeseed I have found in preshave oils and some I have used to improve my shaves when added to my preshave oil. I would suspect that this soap appears to contain some oils that some find aid the shave when used as a preshave except, here, they are already in the soap and no separate step is needed. Kokum, Coconut, Cupuacu butters all can be found in moisturizing creams and post shave balms. I suspect again, they are adding things from the PSB or moisturizing cream to the soap to help the after shave feel. Carnauba wax, silk protein and clay can up the glide.

SO, if I were a guessing man, they took what makes a great pre-shave oil and what makes a great Post shave balm and combined it just right into a Stearic Acid/tallow soap to get the best of all worlds.

From the reviews, I will need to find one I like and try it. Sounds great (and they seem very wise as well)

brit and Str8on2 like this.
  7. Str8on2

Wow. Thanks for that. I do know that all the oils and butters in the ingredients list have to be working for the positive in post shave finish and feel. And also contribute to the overall excellent glide and slickness it provides. I can't speak to you worth a lick when it comes to the process of saponification and how and when the oils and butters are added, not intelligently. Whatever they or Muhammad is doing, it is top notch stuff and the proof is in the results that I have been getting.

I bought 2 tubs of Grooming Dept. soap, one with tallow & duck fat base, the other all vegan. The tallow & duck soap has been so good, I haven't even tried the vegan one yet. I will in a couple more days, I just can't stop using the tallow & duck fat for now. It's a fantastic performer.

brit likes this.
  8. gregcss

gregcss Member

I tried the vegan and beef tallow a few months ago. I liked them but didnt love them. I think they both performed equally and the tallow had a bit of funk to it. When the humidity dropped here I found the slickness had decreased even with additional water added. They are continuing to improve the formula so I will likely try them again.

Str8on2 likes this.
  9. Str8on2

Good point. I had read on another forum that a couple of their beef tallow based soaps had some sort of funk to them a month or two ago. Some Gents aired the soap with some success and others did not fair so well. I believe the soap maker, Muhammad started tweaking the formula and scents since that hiccup. I held back for awhile and once I heard that the new batches were reformulated and there were positive results, I caved and acquired 2 tubs. I can't speak of the prior offerings on their success and moderate shortcomings, but I can speak highly of the ones in my hands now. No funk at all. Very good scent strength and complexity. And performance has exceeded my expectations. I'm not saying it deserves to be on the Mt. Olympus of soaps yet, but I'll be damned if I weren't honest in saying it's on its way there.

gregcss likes this.
  10. Str8on2

Good stuff. No, seriously.......

72BA9EFD-FF63-41D3-9376-025968B00F38.jpeg

brit and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  11. Str8on2

Another few more shaves in with the GD Angel with Lamb Tallow. Just a superb lather that is full, rich and loaded with creamy goodness. This soap base also has no issues with water as it just builds and builds. Somehow though the soap has a sort of lighter feeling once you start applying it, but in a good way. Not as dense or heavy as the Beef & Duck Tallow version, such as After The Fire. But it still manages to have body and substance. I'd say it's right smack in the middle between the Tallow and Vegan base soaps. It's just real damn good. Still delivers a tremendous post shave feel that is second to none while providing very good slickness and glide for the razor. Cushion is good, certainly above average in my experience. The scent is just on point. A light fruit, sweet citrus that is balanced very well with a hint of the Cedarwood, Rose and Oud in there to balance it out. Very complex but nicely mixed scent that still gives a light, but masculine vibe. A+ in my book....
    The pics are rather poor, but just to give you an idea of what this soap base is all about.

C24DAEBD-AFF0-47FE-A161-2715D9A495B5.jpeg

B9CF3697-EE22-43DF-9F33-D96AABC205DE.jpeg

brit and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  12. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Just tried After the Fire .Awesome soap .Great bouquet and very slick performance.

Str8on2 likes this.
  13. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

Received Angel, Chypre Conifere and Neroli Di Bois last week and all three are top notch in both scent and performance!

Str8on2 likes this.
  14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I agree, this is really, really a good soap. Superb lather and post shave feel.

Paul Turner and Str8on2 like this.
  15. Str8on2

Angel is a must. If anyone enjoys or reaps the benefits of a Tallow based soap with Goat milk, this one is a no brainer period. Light perhaps from the Lamb Tallow, yet still thick and protective. And the scent is fabulous.

466A2CB4-92EB-4C7B-9565-DA971F1D9DD8.jpeg
    5191C17D-BEC3-45B2-8E3E-76C3980A3544.jpeg

brit likes this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

Does anyone know when the next release of Angel is going to be available? Was told next week but missed the other releases so would be nice to know what day to wait at the computer lol.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Str8on2

Today. And again all sold out within the first hour. I should say most of the tallow based soaps are gone.....

18. SHAVEWIZARD420

I did manage to pick up a tub of Angel and the Donkey Milk Chypre. They should arrive tomorrow. Grooming Dept has skyrocketed to the top of my den, along with WK these soap bases are about flawless IMO, scent is subjective but both artisans have some masterpieces in their arsonal.

Paul Turner and Str8on2 like this.
  19. Str8on2

Agreed. I did not get a chance to pick up any of the latest releases, fell asleep at the proverbial internet wheel. Items sold out in less than an hour. Enjoy and looking forward to your take on the scents, as we know the performance is off the charts.... :happy088:

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  20. SHAVEWIZARD420

I was at the computer waiting, that's how I was lucky enough to place an order. There were several release dates that got postponed, since I missed the first release and the reviews of Angel are mostly positive. Curious to see how the new formulas differ from the others.

The vegan and Duck bases are my favorite from the GD line.

brit likes this.