Guilt using Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Jan 4, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Excellent post. Thanks for the link. That is one I hadn't seen.

2. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I like history as well. Read through a bunch of Civil War and War of 1812 books not too long ago. Wouldn't mind getting me one of these for display.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

3. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Yeah Knox it's a sickness like collecting blades, which I have, like I'm going to run out tomorrow, ha so back to the razor, yeah I kinda feel that way about my gold Aristocrat sitting there looking good in its case with blade holder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I use every razor I get.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I inked a NOS fountain pen from the 1930s and removed the price sticker. I still regret it. I should have kept it in its case, to enjoy the "newness". It's never going to be NOS again (and while it is a good pen, it's not even a special writer).

Jim99 likes this.
  6. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

I actually feel guilty NOT using my Fat Boy... I've got 2 now. I had a third one that I used occasionally, but traded it. I have not shaved with a Fat Boy since, and I have two of them in my cabinet.

Maybe I'll break down and use one tonight.....

RyX likes this.
  7. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

That was my problem-my second one was pretty as well

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Use em or move em!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Knox likes this.
  9. mayer57619

mayer57619 Well-Known Member

I would use it, unless it is either a sentimental piece or still sealed in a new package and you think you would ever sell.

10. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I have one of my Fatboys in regular rotation now. You guys convinced me !

RyX and waffen like this.
  11. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

I am planning to send one to my brother. I got him a DE set up for Christmas, if he sticks with it ( he loves it so far! ) I'm going to send one his way...

waffen and RyX like this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Honestly I find this thread alternatively amusing and troubling Guys with multiple FBs who just have them sit and some people wonder why prices for vintage razors have gone up so much. Like they're friggin beanie babies or something. Free country but it bugs me. Fortunately I'm not into the Fatboy thing.

RyX likes this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have one NOS razor. A Dime Safety Razor, purchased from an old hardware store in Kansas, where it has sat in a drawer since the grandfather of the current owner purchased several cases of them in the 1910s. I bought two from him, and opened one to get pictures. That one isn't NOS any more. The unopened one is, and I have no intention of using it. (I haven't used the other one, but mainly because you can't get replacement blades for it.) I had a minty Blue tip, with case, instructions, and blades. It was flawless. I sold it to a collector and bought a user grade one. I'm not a collector, but I do understand the desire not to use an NOS item. One the box has been opened, have at it though!

waffen and Knox like this.
  14. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I don't understand the correlation.

Prices go up because people pay those prices. It has nothing to do with multiple Fatboys sitting in a drawer. Supply and demand - economics 101.

I believe prices have gone up because shaving forums have added more perceived value to razors than they used to hold. The razors hit eBay, the bids go up, and others see that. Once people stop paying those prices, the value will drop again.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm familiar with economics. Demand is higher, and therefore prices, when the buying universe broadens to include people who buy not for use value, shaving, but for drawer sticking or speculation. I agree that forums have contributed heavily to the everyone must own a Fatboy even if you don't use it mystique.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    waffen, RyX and Knox like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I found both my Gillette's in fleamarkets('71 Super Adjustable-109, R R date code, NEW SC ca. 1932-40). In the case of the NEW it was pretty cruddy. The SA-109 was just laying there. No case, no nothing. First thought when I saw 'em? "Jeez, I wonder how it'll shave." That's what they're made for. Drop a blade in and get after it!!

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

That is awesome. I've thought about finding an old straight and framing it just like that. Although I wasn't thinking of one with historical significance. Sweet

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I once bid on a Schick adjustable and won. It turned out that the razor was NOS, still with the cardboard inside the pristine plastic case and with the blank still in the razor. It sat for a week while I discussed it with my wife. Finally, I said "what the heck! For $30, I'm using it!" Right now, I'm loving that razor.

Either way, will anyone care in 30 years? Go for it!

waffen, RyX, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  19. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Hell I need a Fatboy and a blue tip and I need a 1951 black tip, my birthday razor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Go ahead, use it in good conscience. I'm using this custom Fat Boy right now and loving it.
    20170107_210233.jpg

HERM

waffen, LOOT, Jim99 and 4 others like this.