H.I.S. Synthetic Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Apr 14, 2012.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is a review of a new synthetic brush called the H.I.S. Shaving Brush.

The distributor is a company called Artist Brushstrokes and they can be reached at: www.artistbrushstrokes.com

Additional information can be found here: http://fmtbrush.com/fmt/index.php/cosmetic-brushes/68-his-face-shaving-brush.html

Now to the review. When I saw this brush recently I thought that it would be similar to the Franks Synthetic (FS) that I enjoy. I noted that it had more of a whiteness at the where the FS had black tips. So I went on to Amazon and ordered the brush. The cost was $32.50 with shipping so I was interested in what I would receive since I had never saw any reviews on this brush before.

So I received the brush and was surprised at the size. I normally like brushes with knots in the 20-25mm range. This brush was large compared to what I am used to using. Here is a comparison to the FS.

Here are pictures of the H.I.S. Brush.

[​IMG]

Here is another view compared to the FS brush.

[​IMG]

The second thing I noticed was that is looked more like a Silvertip Badger than the other synthetics. The brush is dense in fact it is much denser than any other brush I have. Now that I have this brush, it is time to see how it performs.

Once I got use to the size, I found this to be a very good brush in terms of application. I was able to negotiate the ears and quickly apply lather to the back of my head for the head shave.

Here were some areas that I observed about the H.I.S. brush.

Water retention: Does it hold water sufficiently enough?
    Yes - In fact you need to shake it lightly about 3 times or you could have too much water. This holds water exceptionally well due to the density and quantity of fibers.

Loading: Does it pick up soaps and creams easily?
    Yes - It is very efficient. A little soap or cream goes a long way.

Lather: Does it built and apply lather well?
    Yes - It is a real lather monster.

I used it with Fitness Soap in a mug. It made enough lather for 4 1/2 thick face passes (2 of them I simply wiped off because I had finished face shaving). Then it made 2 full head shave passes with thick lather. Afterwards, I was able to squeeze the brush and get a larger wad of lather at the finger and thumb. This amount of lather was made with one dip into water with a three shake to reduce moisture and only 2 swirls to pick up the soap. No additional water or soap was used. I also used it with a nickel sized drop of C.O. Bigelow cream and got the same results. I think the density of the brush fibers is so high that it creates a very strong lather production due to the fibers moving against each other.

Application: Does it allow for a soft/smooth/effective application of lather to the skin.
    Yes - The lather went on smooth and easy every time.

Quality feel: Does the synthetic brush have the “quality” feel against the skin? Would it pass a blindfold test against naturals?
    It has a soft quality feel against the skin. The H.I.S. Synthetic does not feel like a badger, but is very soft. It is much softer than a boar. It may be close to a horse hair in softness. It would not pass a blindfold test against naturals, but is soft and just because it does not feel exactly like natural in no way deducts from the quality of the brush.
    [edit]
    After long term testing against a Silvertip Badger it is equal in terms of softness at the tip.

Appearance: Is the look of the brush attractive? Yes.
    I like the simplicity of the faux ebony resin handle.

One additional thing about synthetics is that you can be a little more rough with them versus natural hairs and not have a problem with them. They will not bloom or change shape. In my experience I have found is, what you get with a synthetic is a uniform product that does not change over time. That has pluses and minuses which each user must determine for themselves if a synthetic is right for them.

In conclusion, would I recommend this brush to others.
    Yes! In fact, I have ordered a backup brush because I like this one so well. You might just want to give this brush some consideration if you are looking for a nice synthetic brush in the mid price range.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

A fine review Mr Carrington of what looks like a interesting new alternative. Though the latest generation of synthetics has really been advancing and seems now to be closer to the real thing than ever, there is still the lingering issue of scratchiness when rotating that the synths have been prone too. I wonder how this one fairs for face lathering where vigorous and firm circular motions are the norm...

3. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Great looking brush, I know It's synthetic but it does look a bit like a silvertip.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I did just that using Palmolive stick and it was able to lather 3 face passes from one application of soap to the face and it produced a thick head shave coating to boot. At the end I was still be able to wring out enough lather at the end to surround my index finger and thumb so there was plenty left to go. Could have had another face and or head pass if I desired. It passed the circular motion test as well.

5. Slipperyjoe

That circular motion scratchiness has been the sticking point of the snyth and maybe this issue has been finally addressed. Now all they need is a nice big worthy Klingon sized one..:yoda2

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It has plenty of size to it.

7. Slipperyjoe

Indeed your right Mr Carington.. just noticed the 28mm x 60mm knot.. Qapla!

bittermormon and GDCarrington like this.
  8. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

A very fine review, it interesting that synthetic brushes quality is improving. Nice looking brush.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

G.D., I just looked up the brush on Amazon. Only 1 model. I noticed the note saying it takes 2 to 3 days to process. Did it ship from out of the USA? I read where it is a dual USA/Thailand business. Was it a relatively quick delivery?

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

About 11 days out of the U.S. (Florida) I am receiving another one and I expect it will take the same amount of time. If these are hand knotted as the information states, then that would be about the right amount of time to complete and ship. The company states that it would take extra time for this product up front on Amazon.

11. Richmondesi

Richmondesi Active Member

Very nice review. While I'm not personally a vegan, I have become very interested in a vegan solution to shaving that does not require compromise compared to more natural products. I think I will most likely pick one of these up to evaluate myself. Again, good stuff:eatdrink047:

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Nice review. I just picked up my free starter kit from AoS as they opened a new one close by. It comes with an inexpensive synthetic brush. I will try it out this week just to see how the synthetics act. Not including the inexpensive AoS brush in my starter kit, will the good systhetics show less of a life span as compared to a badger? It would seem that we may be going to see more sythetics hit the market as synthetic material manipulation is perfected.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If both have quality construction, knots made cleanly, handles of lasting materials, the synthetics will outlast the natural hair because the proteins in the hair will degrade (decay) even if properly cared for. Now if you get a synthetic that is not well made, just like a natural that is not well made, then...

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. lindyhopper66

G.D., you talked me into it. I reached my razor RAD limit (almost)... with 95 and many creams and soaps and blades and such and now I've added the 11th brush, the H.I.S. I ordered it Sunday. Shipped out on Monday. I will receive it tomorrow (Wednesday). Superfast. I'll try it out on Thursday morning.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have really enjoyed mine even though it is bigger than what I was accustomed to, it kinda grows on you!

16. Slipperyjoe

There's no smell and I don't think you'll need to break it in.. and please do share you're findings..:)

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

O.K. I have received an email of appreciation from Artist Brushstrokes on the reviews of the H.I.S. shaving brush.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Gary,

John from our Customer Care team forwarded the email thread below. Wow ! These reviews are outstanding ! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a complete review of our HIS shaving product. We certainly appreciate the professionalism and thoughtfulness put into the product reviews and extend our thanks. Should you have any questions, comments or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We look forward to serving your brush needs in the future.

Best Regards,

Laurent Pierre, Jr.
    Senior Managing Partner

Artist Brushstrokes, LLC - Arts - Craft - Cosmetics

18. Slipperyjoe

Thanks for sharing this info. It appears as though good rapport has developed between what now looks like a good company and it's present and potential clientel...

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  19. lindyhopper66

G.D., I had my second shave with the H.I.S. It is the best and most luxurious brush I own now. I've read somewhere that badger hairs eventually lose protein and thus their effectiveness, so having a great synthetic that will last forever is a very good thing.

GDCarrington and Slipperyjoe like this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

After trying my Silvertip Badger against it, this is as soft as my Silvertip, but with much more backbone.